Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A freind was given this rifle by a neighbor who was moving away and the story was that he had smuggled it aboard ship back to the US. There it sat till now in the corner. It has slight rust but a perfect and shinny bore. The dust cover is present and all marks are intack - and of coarse no import marks. I have never seen one like it and would appreciate any info and the best way to clean the rust and preserve the stock in its original configuration. TIA

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Pics Number 2

More pictures

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,191 Posts
That's a 1st variation T-44 Cavalry carbine made by Tokyo Arsenal. Some very fine steel wool & oil works good on the rust (bronze wool is safer). I use a dry paper towel on the wood & nothing more.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
First type Tokyo T44 cavalry carbine.

The metal needs tlc with a good oil and 0000 brass or steel wool, lightly, go lightly.
the stock only needs feeding with a good wood wax or a mixture of 1/3 each beeswax, turpentine, and BLO.

A picture of the side of the receiver with serial number is always good for identifying a Japanese rifle.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Rifle ID

Like Adogs said a little oil and 0000 steel wool or brass wool and it should clean up pretty nice. Nice looking rifle !!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Has anyone else noticed so many rare weapons popping out of the woodwork.....to other people?? Oh well, glad to see others get lucky! Nice rifle! ;)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Is there a site for detailed info....date of manufacture / disassembly / history etc? He especially needs info on how to take it apart and put it back together. He is monitoring this post and I am sure you guys will hear from him when he gets signed up. Thanks again. Oh, and ammo too!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone have any info on caliber/ammo etc.?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
The book with info is Military Rifles of Japan by Honeycutt and Anthony.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just bought a Type 44 and need some advise.

Hi all,

My neighbor had a Type 44 Calvary carbine in her attic for the last 25 years so I bought it for $50.00. I have disassembled it to the point that I am stuck. The top stock will not come off and I don't want to damage it.
I have sprayed a little penetrating oil under it (65 years since arsenal) to loosen anything which may be sticking but it wont budge.
The bottom stock is also stuck but should free up after the top is removed.
Anyone know if there is a trick to getting it off? I tried to remove the sight plate (which has a screw) but it won't budge either.
I would appreciatte any help.
Thanks Dadcpu

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Dadcpu,

You did the right thing by spraying oil under it. I use WD 40. The handguard is most likely stuck due to dried grease between the barrel and the wood. It does fit under the rear sight via a small metal piece attached to the wood, and this may be rusted onto the rear sight. Put some oil on that, too. Then perhaps wiggle it a bit to loosen the wood, Be really careful as the wood is thin and fragile.

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,191 Posts
Wow, this thread is a blast from the past! Didn't realize how old it was until I saw Garfield's post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts