Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've created a pair of bookends out of T-14 parts, frame, barrel, cocking knob, bolt, trigger assembly, etc. One frame is an early Tokyo. I have a small trigger guard that slides to within about 3/4" of the frame base, but will go no further. This TG fits with no problem in a late frame. I'd prefer to use the early frame, but short of hammering the TG the last 3/4" anyone have any suggestions? I've considered leaving the TG in the freezer over night and heating the frame the following AM, then trying to mate the two. And does anyone have one or more "buggered" (not good enough for a show pistol) grip screws they would sell?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Sounds like it needs a little file work. Bring it with you and I'll fix it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Bookends?

Just how many T-14's does a man have to own in order to use them as bookends? Tomato stakes I can see, the rope holes give you a convenient place to tie the vines to. But bookends? Don't you know that you can bend a monopod and have a great bookend? :eek:

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should see my end table lamp made from a T-14, the rod carying the electric cord to the lamp socket runs through the mag well and out the ejection port. Found a $.50 lamp at the local thrift store with the rod just the right length.

Rigging up a bunch of other 14s and 94s for trot-line weights (you non-Southerners know what a trot-line is, don't you?)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ran many a trot-line in my day. A few were even my own!

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That caused a chuckle, remember two of us, way back in the early 50s, swimming in the Tennessee River out of my 14-foot, flat-bottomed Sears-Roebuck kit-built, plywood boat. We and the boat were drifting down river when suddenly the boat stopped drifting, turned her bow up river and just stayed in place. It took some swimming to get back. Boat has about a 15 foot chain on the bow that we, for some forgotten reason, had allowed to hang in the water. The chain had snagged on a sunken trot-line. I also have checked trot-lines other than my own, just for information on what was biting, mind you.

Best way to fish the Tennessee below the dams was float fishing. Several baited, weighted lines on Clorax (sp.) jugs "flung' over the side floating with the boat. A case of iced beer in the boat for companionship. After a while when a jug started bobing around, you didn't bother to put your beer down and go after the fish, he was on his own. Never got a FWI, "floating while intoxicted," probably should have though. "Those were the days, my friend..."

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
03man has the right idea. I do have to agree fully with raym on the Tomato stakes. Did you know that if you plant them receiver end first and use all with the front sight guards you can a line thorough the front sight guards and use them to grow a number of running plants such as pole beans, green peas or even run your grape vines.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T-14s as tomato or grape vine stakes - mighty close to the cut worms. I'd think Mausers or them junky 03 Springfields would be better.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,022 Posts
I always hated it when I came up with a snapping turtle - of course they are good eating too! Ever do any noodling?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Noodling? Are you crazy? I've seen too many of those yellow cats that were bigger than me! Now just who is catching who? And then there are the snapping turtles... and the snakes! Thats why some of the oldest objects ever found are fishing hooks. Never understood why they didn't catch on with the Okies. :D

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,022 Posts
Yeah, I never did it either but had friends that did. I always heard the worst thing was to reach into an underwater hole & to feel fur - that would be a beaver and you were very likely to lose a few fingers or worse! These guys would also take 55 gal. drums and half-bury them in stream beds when the water was low (open end facing downstream). They would then mark them with a plastic jug tied to the barrel with a string. Then when the water was up they would wade out there & feel around inside hopin for that huge catfish!

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
He he he, just looked up "noodling" for an article in Cabela's, man what a way to fish ! One extract from the article ;

"Many noodlers are nicknamed "Nubbins," the result of unfortunate encounters with snapping turtles"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts