Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a Syrian contract MAS49. My understanding is that the only difference between these and the French issue MAS49 is the incorporation of the MAS36 type bayonet into the design. Obviously the metal fore end caps are different to accommodate this, but is there any difference in the woodwork dimensions? ie are the Syrian stocks thicker in order to house the bayonet, or are they the same dimensions? Will a French fore end cap fit on a Syrian rifle without modifications to the woodwork?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,097 Posts
The stock of the Syrian model is dimensionally different from that of the French issue model, because the French model never had the bayonet, only the Model 1948 grenade launcher. If you are thinking of converting your Syrian into a French model, you will need to find the fore end wood, middle band as well as the correct nose cap. That will be difficult, might be easier to just find an original French issue model. Some were imported in the past and turn up on auction sites from time to time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm - So a conversion to "French" pattern sounds like it would be more trouble than it would be worth. Thanks for the heads up and info on this.

·
Registered
457 Posts
How rare are the Syrian contract ones? Maybe you should just keep it stock and, as mentioned before, get a second one. I mean, you can't get too many MAS, right?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,097 Posts
Orona,

The conversion you mention would actually be impossible without a source of the required parts in France and even then difficult. Also, the serial number range of the converted Syrian would always be an issue.

raubvogel,

The majority of the MAS 49 found for sale are the Syrian model. A fair number of them were imported by Century and the condition varies from VG to Fair.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that - You and raubvogel are quite right - I will keep it as is,and look for an original French one - Indeed you cannot have too many!!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
According to Vonmazur, about half of the 6.000 Mas 49"export built for Syria were imported in the USA.

The Syrian contract Mas 49 are found with serial Number ranging from F33.000 to F39.000, all are dated 1953.

kelt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts