Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be fishing for swords on Saturday, weather permitting. We will leave out around 3PM and fish the upper Key Largo area. We will be fishing on my friend Paul's Blackfin.
Got to get out all the light sticks and other various geegaws as well as rig up a few squid.
This will be my first sword trip. Hope all goes well.
I'll post a pic if we catch anything.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
That's one thing I miss about FL. is the Keys. Key Largo, Islamorada (sp?) Big Pine, Cudjo, American shoals. I grew up In Ft Laud. but spent many a fine summer fishing and diving in the Keys before it got crazy. That skinny lttle highway is all grown up now. I bet there aren't as many accidents as there was back in the 60's.

I remember one time my brother hooked onto a Jack under a bridge and the reel fell off. Boy was that a fun circus to watch.

Seeing the hugh schools of Tarpon passing under the bridges at Bahia Honda, Seven Mile and Big Pine would make your heart stop.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I unfortunately seem to experience about 40% cancelation on fishing trips due to weather out of VA and NC. Really tough when your all hyped to go fishing, get up at 2 AM, drove 2 to 3 hours - only to find out you should have slept in!
Feel for you!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Keys are great. I have lived here on and off since 1975.
The fish are still here, The grouper spawn should begin in late November. They move into the shallow water and the fishing is great. My dad caught a 36 pounder last year in 10 feet of water.
I tore down the old mobile home two years ago and the new Casa Key Largo should be finished by the end of the year if I can get anyone to go to work.

We fish the Bahamas a lot. Cay Sal Bank or Bimini mostly.

We plan on going back to the Bahamas in November when the big wahoo run starts. Big guys 100 lbs and over. I caught a 55 lb wahoo in Cozumel that nearly killed me and can't imagine what a 100 pounder would do. This pic is from a Bimini trip earlier this year.

It's all good in the Keys, except the friggin' tourists and weekend warriors from the mainland.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Those are some good sized mahi-mahi! Funny you should post these pics as I was JUST talking about mahi-mahi with a buddy of mine (a poster who hasn't quite caught up with the new boards). Hopefully he'll see these. He likes deep-sea fishing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are some good sized mahi-mahi!

Down here we call them dolphin. They are called mahi so that tourists don't think they are eating Flipper.
The first dolphin pictured was caught in 800 ft of water off of Pacific light, in route to Bimini.
The second fish was caught off of Molasses Reef in Key Largo.
The wahoo was caught in 1800 ft of H20 off of Bimini.

Keep on fishin',
Da 'Rat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts