Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this sword, along with a type 38 carbine and a bayonet, at an estate sale almost exactly a year ago. I've spent lots of time on the internet trying to learn as much as I could about all of them, which eventually led me to this forum recently. I have mostly just lurked but after reading some of the very expert opinions it was obvious that if I had found this site a year ago I would have been about 11 months further ahead than I am now.

Anyway, I have been attempting to translate the mei on the tang of my sword. I have come to the tentative conclusion that it is a Koa Isshun blade made in June of 1941. The characters on the right side of the tang may be phonetic but I haven't had any success with them, so far.

Thanks for any opinions anyone may have.

Steve

· Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much, Edokko. I will make a tag with that information on it and attach it to the sword. Do you think I got the Koa Isshun part correct? It seems as though the kanji characters must be sort of intuitively identified, much like a signature in English, based on the penmanship, if you can call it that, of the writer.

Thanks again.

Steve

· Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope you don't weary of my thanks, Edokko.

Dang, seinen, I missed it! I gotta do better. My PBS watching has diminished since the arrival of my satellite dish with it's history, science, military and discovery channels. The PBS guide in my local paper lists the Nova program but nothing about that show's content. If you hear about a re-run, let us know.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.