Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering is anyone could possibly give me an ID on this sword? The blade is 37" long and 39" inside the scabbard. There is etching on the blade, one side has knights in amour and on the other side it has swords and flags with many designs. The etching is a little hard to make out. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi again, Mississippi!

This one's another "private purchase" non-regulation sword imported for use in the Civil War, but it's based on the design of the French Model 1822 infantry officer's sword. I had one of these before too: mine was etched with very regulation-looking designs including the spread eagle and U.S.. ( Oddly enough, the regulation French ones have totally PLAIN blades. ) These may actually be of French manufacture - if so, manufacture markings will be engraved in longhand script on the BACK of the blade just below the hilt. Regulation French scabbards for these were leather with brass mounts, so this is definitely non-regulation and likely made for export. Also, the French originals have polished HORN grips that most casual observers mistake for WOOD.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'd do a bit more research on this piece. I have a similar sword, less scabbard, in my collection that a Confederate collector wanted badly. I didn't think it had any CSA association until this fellow expressed an interest. Here's a link to another good forum of experts that may be able to help. It'll also take you to one of my strings <http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?98229-CSA-Dog-River-Sword-Help-Please>

Many good books out there for ref. CSA pieces often only show a particular characteristic, ie, pommel cap shape, direction of the wire wrap, etc. that identifies them. Those brass scabbard fittings are curious and typical of CSA pieces. Keep in mind that often only parts were imported to assemble in various combinations rather than the entire sword. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW, CSA blades, if real, are generally much more valuable than Union.
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.