Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum, but I thought I would share my new toy. A Swiss Wild-Heerburgg TM2 range finder, dated 1942, the same year as my K31. It's measuring range is 300m to 20,000m, though anything over 5000m is tricky to get accurate image alignment. It's rated to 30km, but looking at the scale, there are a couple of marks between 20km and infinity. With practice that should improve. It came with all the accessories, big and little tripod, calibration device, storage cases, straps, filters.After calibrating, I'm getting accurate measurements to some of the mountain tops around my house.
To measure you have a large field of view with another small image floating in the middle, viewed in the right eye. you turn a knob to align the images. With the left eye you read the distance off the scale. I got it from sportsman's guide, and had a coupon for a big discount. I found the manual on line at https://shop.wild-heerbrugg.com, there is a fee.
Steve.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,134 Posts
Very nice! It looks like you got a nice example. What’s the current market price?

When they were imported in quantity, perhaps twenty years ago, I came very close to ordering one. I think the price was in the $600 range but I don’t have strong confidence in that memory. Every time I saw one of the ads or read about someone getting one I would agonize over buying something that I realized I wanted simply because it was cool example of everything Swiss. Somehow I managed to avoid the temptation and it turned out to be a fortuitous decision because several years later I found one at a gun show.

The example I purchased was a complete unit with all the bits and pieces in mint, unissued condition. The metal carrying case or boot had some storage wear and scuffs in the paint but the contents were perfect. The seller was a European dealer who said he had a bad weekend and he didn’t want to take it home. For $250 cash I took it home. :)

By the way, years ago there was a PDF of the English translation of the manual available for free download. If there’s interest I’ll try to find the file.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice! It looks like you got a nice example. What’s the current market price?

When they were imported in quantity, perhaps twenty years ago, I came very close to ordering one. I think the price was in the $600 range but I don’t have strong confidence in that memory. Every time I saw one of the ads or read about someone getting one I would agonize over buying something that I realized I wanted simply because it was cool example of everything Swiss. Somehow I managed to avoid the temptation and it turned out to be a fortuitous decision because several years later I found one at a gun show.

The example I purchased was a complete unit with all the bits and pieces in mint, unissued condition. The metal carrying case or boot had some storage wear and scuffs in the paint but the contents were perfect. The seller was a European dealer who said he had a bad weekend and he didn’t want to take it home. For $250 cash I took it home. :)

By the way, years ago there was a PDF of the English translation of the manual available for free download. If there’s interest I’ll try to find the file.
They are asking $499, but I got a $100 discount. At first I was apprehensive about the price, but when it arrived with all the accessories, I was happy. My storage case is a bit scratched up, but not too bad. Mine has been used, but it's in good shape.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I cannot find this listed, could you post a link?

For some reason the site search engine doesn't find it, but google does.
The day I bought it, they sent me a "double your club discount" coupon. That helped me decide.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,510 Posts
I still have a "Deutsche Optik" catalog dated summer 2001. It advertises the range finders as showing "very little use" and in excellent condition. It came with storage canister, quick-release tripod, and calibration target. Price: $499.

I missed out on getting one. My veterinarian was sucking all of the money out of my wallet at that time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still have a "Deutsche Optik" catalog dated summer 2001. It advertises the range finders as showing "very little use" and in excellent condition. It came with storage canister, quick-release tripod, and calibration target. Price: $499.

I missed out on getting one. My veterinarian was sucking all of the money out of my wallet at that time.
I guess the price is stable. I've been there with the vet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum, but I thought I would share my new toy. A Swiss Wild-Heerburgg TM2 range finder, dated 1942, the same year as my K31. It's measuring range is 300m to 20,000m, though anything over 5000m is tricky to get accurate image alignment. It's rated to 30km, but looking at the scale, there are a couple of marks between 20km and infinity. With practice that should improve. It came with all the accessories, big and little tripod, calibration device, storage cases, straps, filters.After calibrating, I'm getting accurate measurements to some of the mountain tops around my house.
To measure you have a large field of view with another small image floating in the middle, viewed in the right eye. you turn a knob to align the images. With the left eye you read the distance off the scale. I got it from sportsman's guide, and had a coupon for a big discount. I found the manual on line at https://shop.wild-heerbrugg.com, there is a fee.
Steve.

View attachment 3803436

View attachment 3803437
Well, this is the coolest thing I've seen this week

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have wanted one of these since I saw it in the Deutsche Optik catalogue and that was almost 20 years ago . My son talked me out of buying one about 5 years ago at Knob Creek. It would serve absolutely no purpose and yet I still want one .When they are finally sold out from the surplus dealers I feel they will be worth thousands. Please buy them up and save me from myself....

·
Gold Bullet member
13,134 Posts
I have wanted one of these since I saw it in the Deutsche Optik catalogue and that was almost 20 years ago . My son talked me out of buying one about 5 years ago at Knob Creek. It would serve absolutely no purpose and yet I still want one .When they are finally sold out from the surplus dealers I feel they will be worth thousands. Please buy them up and save me from myself....
U-Bear:

Life is too short. Treat yourself to one of these range finders before they disappear.

The example I purchased has served absolutely no purpose other than making me happy. I consider the money well spent.

Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't understand why your son would talk you out of buying a fun toy.
I have all a lot of stuff that serves no purpose other than entertaining me. Sportsman's guide usually drops the price after a while, if things don't sell out first.
The way I look at buying things like this is that they usually don't drop in value, and often appreciate in value. So, I look at it as an investment that I can have fun with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I

My rangefinder is dated 1942, SN 925. If you have one of there, please feel free to post the date and serial number if you want to. I think it would be interesting to see what the years are, and if the serial numbers start over every year, or if they just keep counting up. Then we could have an idea of how many were made, and the full date range. The patent is dated 1908, but I read that Heinrich Wild initially worked for Carl Zeiss Jena, and had them produce them.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,510 Posts
U-Bear:

Life is too short. Treat yourself to one of these range finders before they disappear.

The example I purchased has served absolutely no purpose other than making me happy. I consider the money well spent.

Good luck!
+1. Before Deutsche Optik was sold, I scraped together enough to buy a Swiss Kern-Leica 8x30 "FLAB" bino. It came with a Bolex monopod and a fixture on the bino to attach the monopod so it can be supported for steady observation. This is an aid to using the special stadia reticle; the "FLAB" - FliegerAbwehr - bino was used by light anti-aircraft artillery for estimating range and speed of low flying aircraft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.