Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
I think that I have what seems to be a Swiss Target pistol with a Martini type action. It uses a side lver to lower and raise the breech block, nicely engraved with an octagon barrel. ANY ideas on what the country of origin may be?
Thanks
Mike
View attachment 146948

View attachment 146949
To me it looks identical to my pre-WW2 Haemmerli Free pistol, made in Lenzburg, Switzerland. It is intended for use in the 50m Free Pistol Olympic slow-fire competition. It is called 'Free' because the usual ISSF/UIT pistol rules do not apply to this arm - the barrel can be up to 10.5inches long and the trigger can be set as low as 1 gramme - the grip, as you see, can almost, but not quite - enclose the whole hand.

Have you bought it?

If so, under NO circumstances attempt to dry fire this piece without an empty case or snap-cap in the breech. This was done to mine without my knowledge on the range one afternoon, and it broke the striker. The repair cost me almost $500, twenty years ago, by Haemmerli in Switzerland.

tac

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
swiss pistol

Yes, I did buy it, and since it was at an auction I'm almost certain it has been dry fired, but I have a real good gunsmith that is reasonable if needed. Is yours marked at all as to the maker? Mine is not
Mike

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Yes, I did buy it, and since it was at an auction I'm almost certain it has been dry fired, but I have a real good gunsmith that is reasonable if needed. Is yours marked at all as to the maker? Mine is not Mike
Sorry, I live mostly in UK, so mine was destroyed along with over hundred others over ten years ago, but I remember that it was stamped 'Hammerli - Lenzburg - Schweiz', and shot very well, even with me shooting. It earned me over 200 medals in the time I had it, shooting Ely 'Tenex' rifle ammunition.

Get to know your gunsmith well, you'll be going to see him every time you dry-fire it. On mine, the trigger guard was pushed forward to lower the breech block - the lever on the side was used to set the seven-lever trigger.

tac

·
Registered
7,972 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swiss pistol

I wish I could have been there. Roy told me about 500 folks so that was a good one. No, I'm still in Texas working on our companies hurricane project for now. I did it all by phone. Thanks to that modern invention I have two nice purchases from this auction. Boy, prices were all over the place too. Items that I thought would be high sold low, some ridicuasly so and others were way high.
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts