Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
9,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While buying some strippers and GP11 ammo today I got to thinking about my K31. The mag capacity of the K31 is 6 rounds. The strippers hold 6 rounds. Why does GP11 come in 10 round packages??? Why aren't the mags and strippers for 5 rounds, or the box for 12 rounds???
Signed,
Mystified

To add a scholarly question: When did the Swiss start packaging GP11 in 10 round boxes?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Till around 1960 Swiss GP11 came in packings with 10 full 6-round chargers while only machine gun ammo came in the 10-round cartons. The Stgw57 has a 24 round magazine that were filled either by hand or by a filling machine so the 10-round cartons became standard and the chargers got more and more rare.

Guisan.:)

·
Copper Bullet member
9,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew there had to be a logical Swiss explanation.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,134 Posts
I suppose its the same reasoning that some .303 ammo comes in 48 round boxes while the Lewis drum only holds 47 and the rifle chargers hold five rounds:laugh:
How many rounds did the Lewis aircraft version magazine hold? Now here is a quandary that will keep me up all night: what did the Lewis gun crew do with round #48? They couldn't chamber it because the Lewis fires from the open bolt. Use it as a toothpick? Carefully save the odd round until 47 magazines had been reloaded?

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
There was also a double lewis drum and I saw a 800 round drum at the Pattern Room in the U.K Obviously that one would have been for a ground or ships AA mount. It was literaly larger than the size of a regular snare drum.

Funny story bout that. A fighter pilot tried changing the drum on his lewis mounted above the wing. He put the control stick between his knees and grabbed the drum with both hands. The airplane decided at that time to go inverted and he was hanging out of the cockpit holding on to it. the aircraft then righted itself and he fell back in. when he later tried changing the drum, it came off easily!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.