Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, here is a brief vid of my model 29 Swiss Luger, which was willed to me by my Swiss grandfather. It has the "P" mark on it, which means he was able to purchase this gun when he was issued a newer model. He was quite the target shooter and had a really nice trigger job done to this one. It has about a 3lb pull on it. Fun to shoot! This my son doing the shooing in slow motion on an iPhone. https://youtu.be/Ef6m-sErPyk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Nice...when retiring/ or a weapons upgrade took place one could purchase their service firearm as you know... one could also have it sent to the Bern facility for an arsenal refurbishment. This is why a re bluing or refurbed Swiss Luger is not incorrect.
I love them as they usually are in pristine condition (when was the last Swiss war?)... I have an earlier 1906/24 and the bore is 'as new'...
Check out Sarco LTD for parts and some repro holsters....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Until around the year 2000, the Swiss army gave the firearms to the retiring soldiers and officers FOR FREE. So the word "purchase" is not appropriate *g*

Refurbishement took only place, when a soldier changed his weapon and recieved another one. Then he had not the chance to get it for free or to buy it; it came back to arsenal and was refurbished before issued to another serviceman. Swiss arsenal refurbishment was always marked on the weapons.

Reblued Swiss firearms (and Swiss Lugers) ARE DEFINITELY INCORRECT if there are no refurbishment markings. Especially pistols and revolvers have VERY seldom been refurbished by the army. I personally only saw about four officially refurbished Swiss Lugers and revolvers, but dozens and hundreds of afterarmyservice reworks to raise the price (while destroying the collectors value). So the refurbishment story is an urban legend to justify high prices.

It was not allowed to modify the weapons before privatization (trigger job etc.). These modifications are always an afterarmyservice job.

·
Registered
447 Posts
An example: a Pistole 1900/06 W+F (which is the official term; P 06/24 is an urban legend by an american author too *g*) has no blueing below the saftey lever. If it is blued there, it's an afterarmyservice rework and has no value to collectors. It may still be a good shooter.

This is how it should look like:

Another afterarmyservice modification was the file out of the rear sight from a V-notch to an U-notch. The pistol is destroyed. P00, P06 (DWM and W+F) all had V-notches. The P 06/29 had an official U-Notch. Here how it should look like on a Pistole 1900/06 W+F:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I love the Swiss models for a few reasons but one is the wonderful condition that they are in....that one soldier home ownership and care thing. Looks to be in great shape...the holster too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grandfather had 5 in total that he left to me. A Mod 1900 A-Model, Mod W+F Bern, Mod 06 DWM, Mod 29 black grips, Mod 29 Red Grips. The are all marked with "P" and the 2 29's do not have the un-blued area under the safety. The older ones have the non-blued feature. He must have been a master at getting lugers from the Swiss Army! All of these pistols have super light, hair triggers. The 1900 has an odd modification to it. The side plate has a distinctive "dent" over the trigger sear lever. It looks like it was put there to reduce the outwards travel of the sear. Thanks for the info, I was not able to get much detail about this group of pistols from him, and, frankly was surprised he left them to me. He had an extensive pistol collection from the very first pistols of the Swiss army up to current service. He left all of them, except for this group of lugers, to the city of Frauenfeld, where I hope they are on display somewhere. Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.35.09 PM.jpg

Until around the year 2000, the Swiss army gave the fidrearms to the retiring soldiers and officers FOR FREE. So the word "purchase" is not appropriate *g*

Refurbishement took only place, when a soldier changed his weapon and recieved another one. Then he had not the chance to get it for free or to buy it; it came back to arsenal and was refurbished before issued to another serviceman. Swiss arsenal refurbishment was always marked on the weapons.

Reblued Swiss firearms (and Swiss Lugers) ARE DEFINITELY INCORRECT if there are no refurbishment markings. Especially pistols and revolvers have VERY seldom been refurbished by the army. I personally only saw about four officially refurbished Swiss Lugers and revolvers, but dozens and hundreds of afterarmyservice reworks to raise the price (while destroying the collectors value). So the refurbishment story is an urban legend to justify high prices.

It was not allowed to modify the weapons before privatization (trigger job etc.). These modifications are always an afterarmyservice job.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Nice gift there....more pics please. I am not 100% sure but I know the 29's were dip blued where the earlier models were not. That is why the interior of the 29's are not in the white...so I don't know that they had the white safety non blue as they are also marked with an 'S' for a visual reference.
I am new to the hobby and studying so put that caveat in place.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I am new to this hobby but love to read so a little debate here about correct sights.....in Fred Datig's book... The Swiss Variations 1897-1947...he makes a note on page27 about factory modified sights....changing the V to a U at the factory and then stamping a small cross in the vicinity of the modification.
This was his, and others, observation when cataloging Lugers stored at the Bern factory.
That is all I know as I have no real experience so if someone knows different I'd like to hear the wherefore and why.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I know...he mentions that in his book and talks about how that came about.... however, he was at the factory categorizing pistols for the factory when he came to that conclusion about the rear sight.
I've not read Bobba's book what did he say about this...how was Datig wrong?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I buy into this comment by another collector....with Datig as a source..

"The conversion to a “U” rear sight of a military Luger was done at the request of the individual officer/soldier and performed by the Swiss armory and marked with a “+” to indicate an authorized modification. A Commercial Swiss Luger sight modification would/could be made by a gunsmith or the owner himself, but would not be marked with the official “+”."

Regardless of who did the modification it is part of the guns history and in no way devalues the piece to any historically knowledgeable individual...this wasn't 'Bubba' but the original owners or those issued the weapon in service and was a very common Swiss mod.

Why, because pistol shooting competition was encouraged by the Govt. (as it is today) to keep the civilian guard tuned up...and the U shaped rear sight is very much more conducive to accuracy with a better sight picture than the issued V.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The link says the book is unavailable...but I have a more recent Datig book arriving. I don't know and am no informed individual as yet...however, some on the Luger site associated with this one (opening page) who are more informed agree with Datig.
Unless someone who is the Waffenfabrik historian makes a call it is open to interpretation.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
IMG_0288.JPG Here are some pics of my earlier Swiss Luger's ('27 1906 W&F w/'23 holster) holster.... they are 'glove like' and when they went to the 29 model (issued in '33) they made the holster a bit roomier as shown in the 1906/29 pics above....that leather 'pull' strap often seen on Swiss Lugers was really quite necessary for a quick access IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0293.JPG to the pistol in these early holsters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts