Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just won an auction at gb for a K31 in .308. Had read back in the 50's or 60's there were a number of them imported that were converted and had the <can't remember> target sights on them. I paid $78 plus $15 shipping, plus $15 transfer fee.

The rifle does not have the sights on it, but does have four holes tapped into the left side of the reciever. There is a dovetail cut out on the back top of the reciever. Different front sight too.

Here is the link:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118100475

Did I do ok on this?

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
It had a RESERVE?!?!?:eek: Mikana, I'm speechless.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
That's a noble thought Mikana. However, you could probably buy several nice ones for the cost of this surgery...

I'm looking for redeeming qualities.............................:(

My advice is to chalk this one up to experience and enjoy the one you will receive from Samco! The GP11 is match grade ammo and a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
256 Posts
308 - 1896/11

Do be careful of not using any real hot .308 in this gun. It may or may not take the strain. I think you did all right but as others have said you could have gotten a k31 for what you will put into this gun after you find a mag and a rear site. Your rear sight options depend on the dovetail cut and what you want. - I think you did all right, over time these will only demand more money and to have a .308 conversion today is cost prohibative.

·
Registered
47 Posts
SR in 308

Mikana,
It's all supply and demand. If I could find a SR in 308 for $110 I'd be ranting about it for months! But then, I'm not in the US and any good quality SR starts about US$400 down here.....
In 308 probably $600+, what with the shortage of GP11 here....

I wonder if you could move the barrel onto a K31 (which would be a stronger action) for hunting etc ? Anybody know if the barrel threads are the same?

If you do decide to break it up for parts then let me know!

Q

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anybody know where to get a magazine for it?

We will see what comes out of it. I am looking forward to having a project... :) Anyway, I guess I don't have to be too worried about making it authentic. :D

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I think you have a fun project there. Its something different to play with. Congrats....;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Talked to the seller. Since the item was mis-represented in the listing, and I can't find ANY source for parts for it, they let me out of the deal. Good people to work with, btw.

I would have loved to have taken it... A .308 for less than $80 still sounds pretty good to me. But without a magazine (I asked if anyone knew where to get one on two swiss rifle boards), I can't shoot it. Seller couldn't find a source for the magazine either.

So... No project. Guess I just have to wait for my K31 from Samco.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get a nice .308 Ishapore enfield through Aim a month or so ago. They sold out their remaining stock for $79. The irony is I bought one months ago for $179 and the second one is in better shape!! Can't say enough good things about AIM. Classic Arms has done me right too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Once upon a time, children, a company with the name of Winfield Arms brought a bunch of Swiss rifles into this country, some converted to .308, and another bunch, 30-30 Winchester. They sold in the 19.99-29.99 price range.
They also sold M69s, M71, etc. for 14.99 a piece, and plenty of ammuntion was available then. This was like two years (aka 1961) before the John Kennedy was murdered in Dallas.
Some how, some way, I lived through it.
Now, I'd love to have those early Vetterlis and ammo.
I actually do have them, but they cost me more than than those listings I've discussed above.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mikana
I'm glad you won that auction I had the high bid on it. Until you came along. I was going to part it out. But with you buying it or not buying it that left my money not tied up in it, so I could buy a No-4 Mk-1 Enfield for $95.00 to play with. Thanks:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a K11 on Auction Arms for approx $90, and had to buy a Rear sight (got it from swissdagger of ebay) and had to buy a Upper handguard (got it from Guisan). It cost a few bucks and its a mixmaster, but I still love that gun. Give it a try if its not already a lost cause.

BTW its still a usable rifle if you don't mind a singleshot. I'm sure you'll come across a magazine for it sometime. I believe that model (modifications) is called an "alpine sporter" look for some additional info and you might even find a scope and mount they used on them. Look for gent named Hawkster he's got several (if my memory serves me, been a few years).

Here's what mine looks like now:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice wood. My K31 looks nowhere near as nice as that, but it's a real shooter...and I love it. In fact, I think it may be getting lonely in the vault. It may need a mate soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts