Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was just wondering which Swiss shooting clubs are still active in the US and Canada (and reporting scores back to Switzerland). I know there are clubs in Los Angeles and the CA central coast, and there’s Minneapolis of course. Are the Swiss clubs in Nebraska and Maryland still active? Vancouver has their own medal, but do they still compete themselves? I couldn’t tell from their website.

·
Silver Bullet Member
295 Posts
I can tell you that the Swiss Rifle Club of Calgary is alive and flourishing. Shooting opportunities this past season were somewhat curtailed due to COVID but I managed to complete the Obligatorsch and Feldschiessen at least.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can tell you that the Swiss Rifle Club of Calgary is alive and flourishing. Shooting opportunities this past season were somewhat curtailed due to COVID but I managed to complete the Obligatorsch and Feldschiessen at least.
That’s great! Do you shoot some of the other matches (Stich, Einzelwett, etc.) most other years? Is it just Rifle, or do you host Pistol Obligatorisch and Feld as well?

I was shocked when I looked through the 2020 Schuetzenfest program—it’s something like 300 pages long and most of that is matches.

·
Silver Bullet Member
295 Posts
The option was there to shoot the other matches, but I couldn't make it work personally and, yes, the Pistol programs are active and available as well. Regrettably, the club had to cancel the Hunter Shoot this year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey guys, I was just wondering which Swiss shooting clubs are still active in the US and Canada (and reporting scores back to Switzerland). I know there are clubs in Los Angeles and the CA central coast, and there’s Minneapolis of course. Are the Swiss clubs in Nebraska and Maryland still active? Vancouver has their own medal, but do they still compete themselves? I couldn’t tell from their website.
Eastern Nebraska Gun Club has a very nice web site and a Swiss Program. At Minneapolis the Swiss Club shoots at the Minnetonka Game and Fish Club, they have a schedule (MGFC website)of various shoots listed, best to call first. -RJS

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eastern Nebraska Gun Club has a very nice web site and a Swiss Program. At Minneapolis the Swiss Club shoots at the Minnetonka Game and Fish Club, they have a schedule (MGFC website)of various shoots listed, best to call first. -RJS
Yes, I saw the short video the Swiss govt. news did on Minnetonka—very cool set-up!

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
The Swiss rifles of Washington DC is alive and well (in Maryland) and are actively looking for Swiss nationals in the US to join and shoot. They shoot the 25 M pistol and 300M rifle events, including the Feldstich each year (known as the beer medal)

In PA a non swiss club that shoots the swiss program (with awards) is located north of Philly in Bucks county. They shoot the matches with SSV rules but all awards are locally done.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Swiss rifles of Washington DC is alive and well (in Maryland) and are actively looking for Swiss nationals in the US to join and shoot. They shoot the 25 M pistol and 300M rifle events, including the Feldstich each year (known as the beer medal)

In PA a non swiss club that shoots the swiss program (with awards) is located north of Philly in Bucks county. They shoot the matches with SSV rules but all awards are locally done.
I used to live out that way and one of the Swiss shooters invited me out to one of the matches in Thurmont, but regrettably I never made it. I seem to remember him telling me you all had electronic targets.....do you happen to know if they’re standard SIUS targets or some other make?

It was my understanding that you needed six Swiss citizens to start a club—hopefully that doesn’t mean the club would lose its standing if that number dropped.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Yes they have 6 electronic targets, but given the high cost of the Swiss system and the obsolescence of it the next iteration will likely be both wireless and an alternate foreign manufacturer.

The official support of the clubs in not what it once was. I do not think you can see up a new overseas swiss club anymore, or perhaps it would be better said the hurtles to overcome are much higher. Certainly the free rifles and other material support under the pre-plan 95 army (600,000) was far better than under the current post XXI army of ~100,000.

It has been my experience that if you like competitive shooting then pursue the opportunities when they turn up. They do not last forever, depending on a small core of folks to keep programs going and once gone they do not generally come back. Everywhere the traditional bullseye shooting programs are suffering from a lack of young entries and are primarily inhabited by older fellows. Shooting fraternities of old are no longer self sustaining, you have just to look at the participation in the Swiss Federal matches to see what is happening every where in what used to be the west.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My impression, which could be wrong, is that American interest in Swiss shooting and the guns and swag associated with it is incomprehensible to most Swiss. And then when they try to help us, it’s like, “what, you want to shoot on PAPER targets?” and “here’s your Rechnung......what, you don’t have an IBAN account to pay?”. We’re like some strange black box that soaks up old timey rifles that most Swiss would give away for free, and old cans of Automatenfett that probably belong in the trash. I’ve got to be one of the worst offenders out there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Swiss Club up here in Minneapolis was started by many Swiss ex-pats who not only like to shoot for the love of shooting but for the social aspect as well. On top of that in the older days, there were still those with military obligations, and going home to Switzerland every year was hard. Here they were two companies that had a majority of Swiss and that in the older days created the club. But most had access to the standard k31 but the newer guns were hard if not impossible to get or keep here in the US (57s and 90s). The US type of shooting is varied and the military Camp Perry is as close as it gets in both rifle and pistol shooting. Americans do a great number of shotgun sports and hunting due to the history and size of the country. So it is odd that the is a group of Americans that are mostly non-Swiss that like both the guns and the type of shooting the Swiss do. But both countries share a fond love for guns and shooting and that is the greatest bond.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are great responses guys, and I really appreciate it. You’re right that the social aspect of shooting is a big part of it. I’ve got a public range about 15 minutes away, but I end up driving an hour and a half to a real club—a great shooting club is like going back in time to the 1960s, when more Americans were part of bowling leagues and social clubs. I suspect forums like this are partially a replacement for stuff like that back then.

I had not really thought about this before, but the Swiss Army ranges are probably a lot like the American ranges might have been if the US military had not drastically cut its support for Service Rifle and Pistol competition in 1968. Prior to that at Nationals you had GIs to pull targets and even score and repair for pistol, which is almost comically superfluous. We probably wouldn’t have had a range in every town 10 minutes apart—the US is not a small country like CH, but imagine a place like Talladega Marksmanship Park outside every major city or DoD installation. Banks of 600 yard e-targets......a nice thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.