Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Nice collection! They're great for clamdigging too!:)

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For clamdigging in Maine where I grew up, we used a pitchfork with the handle cut off and bent to a 45 degree angle. Take a look at this youtube video and at the end, they show how I dug clams when I was younger - using a clam hoe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZJeRs_-FkA

It seems like at gunshows, bayonets are being sold without the frogs and then lately I noticed people trying to sell frogs on ebay for around $50. Buying with a person in Switzerland, you can get the bayonet and the frog at a reasonable price, usually less than $90 but then you got the $35 shipping, so sometimes it pays to buy more than one. Getting through customs can be a couple of days or many weeks.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I thought the Swiss would not allow the export of bayonets any more.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Chrome Plated...

Chrome plated......only the Swiss. :D
I have a chromed Swiss Bayonet. According to Guisan on SwissRifles - soldiers paid to have them chromed out of their pockets - for rust prevention; Swiss Army approved the action; also so the Soldier could impress his lady when in uniform and on a pass...(so I've heard about the last part of it)

·
Gold Bullet member
250 Posts
Did you buy it from the Stefan at SwissDagger? I've dealt with him a couple of times and he has been great. He was able to sell me a sniper M31/42 I think the designation is. Took a long time to go through channels, but a really nice rifle. Regards, Guns

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Model 1914 Pioneer Bayonet by HS with steel scabbard. The serial number 56569 would indicate that it was matched to a Model 1911 Carbine. It's in good shape with no rust. It probably needs some cleaning on the handle metal; I think some Flitz polish would shine it up bright. The blade is bright and doesn't show any sharpening that I can see. The wood on the handle has a few dings.

I certainly don't need it. I've had it since about 1966, sitting on a shelf. Is there any demand for these, where would be a good place to advertise it and roughly what price should I expect?

Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:D

A cursory search around the 'net netted this:

SOLD B-11 SWISS M.1914 PIONEER SAWBACK SWORD BAYONET maker: “HS”. Very nice clean blade. w/s V.G. (JN 185-3) $175.00 SOLD

Then there's one on E-bay that looks about like the condition mine is in; starting bid $180.

Perusing the Want to Sell section here indicates that it might be worth a bit more than $100 as well.

Guess I need to take some pictures and post it there.

Seriously though, should I leave the patina on the handle or polish it up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts