Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve tried googling but not coming up with anything. Sorry for the perhaps elementary question, but anyone seen a “SP” seemingly burned into the right side of a 1893 stock? And know what it means?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not sure but that one has been on the broker for a looong time. Price is high in my opinion to have that import mark or I probably would have bought it. Have a feeling most others feel the same with how long it’s been listed. Although since milsurps have seemingly doubled in price over the last year, maybe not so overpriced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure but that one has been on the broker for a looong time. Price is high in my opinion to have that import mark or I probably would have bought it. Have a feeling most others feel the same with how long it’s been listed. Although since milsurps have seemingly doubled in price over the last year, maybe not so overpriced.

A nice all matching one just sold on GB for $1660 plus ship plus tax!!

I worked out a private deal with the seller for $1247 shipped. He confirmed its matching.

the SP is interesting and I’ve asked many knowledgeable Swiss folks and no one knows. It certainly doesn’t military since it’s pretty clearly burned into the stock...

I know these were used as training rifles since they weren’t too popular in frontline combat. Maybe the mark of a school? Or a Swiss or American bubba put his initials....

·
Registered
993 Posts
A nice all matching one just sold on GB for $1660 plus ship plus tax!!

I worked out a private deal with the seller for $1247 shipped. He confirmed its matching.

the SP is interesting and I’ve asked many knowledgeable Swiss folks and no one knows. It certainly doesn’t military since it’s pretty clearly burned into the stock...

I know these were used as training rifles since they weren’t too popular in frontline combat. Maybe the mark of a school? Or a Swiss or American bubba put his initials....
Not an easy find at any price. The 1800 dollar rifle was also an antique non import marked AND it was sold by grey blanket, so I take that price with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not an easy find at any price. The 1800 dollar rifle was also an antique non import marked AND it was sold by grey blanket, so I take that price with a grain of salt.

good point on the antique and non import mark. Neither matter that much to me personally. I’ll get a sig example later

I appreciate all your insight on this thread! I’ll post some pics when I get the rifle

·
Registered
993 Posts
I’ve been keeping an eye on these as well lately, the last gap to fill in my collection. That one has been in my watchlist for ages. At least the import mark is on the trigger guard and not a billboard on the receiver. I’ve passed it up in hopes of another turning up, preferably antique (I watched the grey blanket auction too, but I don’t even consider bidding on those auctions as a default). Import marks don’t bother me much on cheaper guns, but if I plan on paying more than 1000 bucks for one, I’d prefer it not be import marked.

Makes me wonder what I could get for my 1889/96 private in this crazy market (not for sale boys sorry)!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.