Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased this 1882 revolver from Simpsons recently. Looks to be reblued sometime in the past.

Would the bluing have been done as a refurbishment at the arsenal or done at a commercial shop?

All the numbers match on the parts in addition to a second set of matching numbers- just "35" marked close to the last 3 digits of the serial number on the parts. I would appreciate some insight on this revolver. Thanks.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure how things were in the revolver era, but later on the arsenal and a commercial shop might mean the same thing. Local smiths would all be in the Army until they were 50 and were authorized to do repairs on the Army’s dime.

That said, the mentality hasn’t changed, so often well-worn guns that come into the shops now get reblued even though a collector wouldn’t want that.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
It looks like a very recent restoration to my eye. If his was a working or carried gun post reblue and grips finish there would be some wear. At the least a tiny bit of signs the gun was shot some. My gut feeling, and no more.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
An obvious restoration, yes, but a not so obvious timeline of it being done. The M1882/Model1929 was an issue sidearm for over sixty five years and the possibility of more than one 'finish refreshing' is very likely while a rebuild is not. No warfighting leads to long equipment life IMO.
However, I see wear on the high/front edges conducive to a fair bit of holstered use.
They are very robust revolvers.
I like it!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Whoever did the restoration did a great job. Very consistent coloring and all the markings are still sharp. The action is smooth and tight. Now to actually try to get some ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts