Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the scope mount on these rifles completely covers the serial #'s.
On the M 41 they, the Swedes, did not stamp the number on the mount base or mount proper...on the 41 B it is noted/stamped on the Base/mount.

When imported how did that fly? Were they (sniper system) removed and the serial numbers annotated ? I know some of the imports were actually 'snipered' here so I get that but not all of them....

Head scratching?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Mounts for the m/41B rifles were not typically removed by companies like SAMCO. I have seen a few that might have been removed but these were few a far between. There was discussion years ago that examples "might" have been built in the US by importers but that's an open topic. The rifles I have still show their original staking marks. It was likely a grey area but I'm glad they did not.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My M41 is a study in this issue...it was purchased in Canada in 1975-6 so likely was not involved with any import bans or need for scope or rail removal...BUT the forward dowel pin on the rail is completely missing and the rear one is a bit proud of the mount. Other than that it seems to be what I think it is...but why would those conditions exist unless someone fiddled with the rail?? I had the help of a number of our members but we never really nailed it down.

Maybe they needed to come into the country as "unsnipered" and then restored once they cleared customs/import regulations? There were other Swedish snipers at the same store where I bought mine but I didn't pay attention to them...didn't really know what the finer points were, back then, anyway. Still don't.

I thought it was correct when I bought it but it certainly is not...it is the same as I bought it to this day as I never got around to sorting it out.

M 41 with AGA m44 scope on M 96 Ser #810 | Gunboards Forums

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All good info...the placement of the base seems to be where ever the smith wanted to place it...forward/back a bit from all of the dif pics I've noted.
note: After more observation am prob noting the dif between the 41/41B placement.
'The Swedish Mauser Rifle'....collectors series, states that the Swedes did not penetrate thru the receiver wall when drilling/ mounting the base screws....they do not reference the locating pins directly (pg. 171)...but I have not done any research other than this book so just indicating their input. If that is correct....big 'if' then some may have been built after importation.
I know there are prob some who would know definitively after real research on that so if so please jump in.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...folks in the Swedish Military corner say that the comment from the book I quoted was not correct....and that makes sense since the receiver is only 4 mm 'thin' in that area.....going thru makes more structural sense than not.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not really sure what you mean but I think you will find that the dowel pins (farthest forward and aft on the rail) fit in to holes that penetrate the receiver fully...the screw holes do not get through the receiver.

That is the condition of my own rifle but may not be determinant...as my rifle has raised some questions.

Others, better qualified to answer with authority, may chime in.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really sure what you mean but I think you will find that the dowel pins (farthest forward and aft on the rail) fit in to holes that penetrate the receiver fully...the screw holes do not get through the receiver.

That is the condition of my own rifle but may not be determinant...as my rifle has raised some questions.

Others, better qualified to answer with authority, may chime in.
Interesting.... iow, there is no consensus on this thru/not thru. screw deal. Gents in the Swedish Military section indicate that many original M 41's were thru drilled for the 3 screws and the locating / recoil pins.

·
Registered
588 Posts
reiver1,

Sorry...I checked my images and the receiver of my M41 (AGA m/44 cope) is drilled through for both pins AND the screws.

I feel stupid for this error as I can tell you are seriously researching these sniper variants and the last thing you need is misinformation due to a faulty memory. I haven't seen the rifle in a while and my memory screwed up.

The good news is that my rifle seems to fit the pattern...I was beginning to think it might be a total fake!!

Sorry again...here's an image of the inside of my port side receiver rail, where the scope rail is affixed...

Wood Automotive exterior Door Auto part Automotive lighting

Good luck on your project, Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No sweat and thanks for the follow up....I've been told there are numerous mistakes in the book I referenced so it could very well be that was an arsenal job....as of yet, I have not seen one, internet cruising, that is not thru bored.
Honestly, I get the craftsmanship associated with the Swede rifles but that receiver is only 4 mm thin so can't imaging trying to partially inlet for a screw..... that would be make work....but, I really do not know.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't really know all that much....even about the rifle I own.

I get little bits, here and there, but I never really took that rifle seriously due to pragmatic concerns after I moved away from my family home.

Swede, here on the forum has been so helpful.

I drifted away from shooting sports so my M41 has been a "Safe Queen" for almost 50 years.

I suggest you treat my input in accordance with my statement of qualification. I am extremely sorry for misleading you and am embarrassed to have been a source of misinformation.

I think I'll shut up now; for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't really know all that much....even about the rifle I own.

I get little bits, here and there, but I never really took that rifle seriously due to pragmatic concerns after I moved away from my family home.

Swede, here on the forum has been so helpful.

I drifted away from shooting sports so my M41 has been a "Safe Queen" for almost 50 years.

I suggest you treat my input in accordance with my statement of qualification. I am extremely sorry for misleading you and am embarrassed to have been a source of misinformation.

I think I'll shut up now; for a while.
I get my gun info mixed up on occasion too...hard not to.... I have supposedly THE source coming...'Crown Jewels'...cheapest copy I could find was 150 bucks.
No apology needed and it was good to see the pics you provided..

·
Registered
814 Posts
Both of my m41B rifles are drilled through the receiver and oddly neither one has a import mark I can find.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Some of the early imports were marked under the wood. One thing I would look for (at least with the SAMCO imports) is the M41B designation. I've seen a few questionable "snipers" over the years and inevitably, the import marking had "M96" as the rifle type.

·
Registered
814 Posts
After going nutz looking for the import mark. it says KABCO 55. in very small font under the wood where the barrel steps up in size to the receiver on my #1 M41B

·
Registered
600 Posts
After going nutz looking for the import mark. it says KABCO 55. in very small font under the wood where the barrel steps up in size to the receiver on my #1 M41B
Good Day,
If you look again, you'll probably find the import marking says "KEBCO SS." This was a well known importer that was originally located in Silver Springs. Maryland. The owner, Ken Buch, later relocated to Pennsylvania. I knew Ken well and purchased a number of exceptional Swedish M/96, m/63, and m/80 target rifles from him. He also sold a large number of Rolling Block (nearly all Swedish) over a number of years. However, I don't remember him mentioning he imported m/41B rifles. Pictures would definitely help.

·
Registered
814 Posts
your right about the KEBCO SS I thought it was 55 . Ill take some pics in a day or so. Mount and base numbers in the same font match the bolt and bolt parts. The mag well cover does not match .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts