Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my first knife recently using some recycled Swedish Mauser materials.
Maple wood from a broken, empty m/96 stock. The thinner brass spacer is a stock disk. The material between the brass parts is stacked birch bark I collected locally. The blade is a new Swedish Morakniv #1 blade blank. I thought this would be of interest to the folks here since it's Swedish Mauser related. I'm happy with how it turned out for my first knife build. Now I need to learn how to make a leather sheath for it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Beautiful work. Did you want the handle shape to be a little like the old Swedish barrel knife shape? I see the binding is only at the base of the handle.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Maybe I was inspired by the barrel knives. I would love to get one someday. I tried to keep the handle design simple and elegant. It ended up with a rounded square cross section which I think feels good in the hand and naturally orients the blade with your grip. It's a hidden tang, epoxied into the handle. This one was for learning how to do it, with the help of YouTube also.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. The final sanding was with 600 grit sandpaper which gave the wood a silky smooth feeling. For the finish I immersed the handle in boiled linseed oil for 2-3 hours then wiped off the excess and let it dry for 24 hours. The BLO added a nice golden color to the wood and really makes the grain patterns "pop". It was a fun project and I only cut myself twice in the process. ;)

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
That's really cool!

LOVE the birch bark and the brass!!

I have a really old (NOW) swedish knife my father gave me and I treasure it. It would mean even more to me if he had actually made it. The steel in my knife is amazing...not stainless,., but takes and holds a WICKED edge.

Thanks for sharing your work, here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.