Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first S/M M96, dated 1909 and should get it a week or so. I have never fired the Swedish 6.5x55mm round, and could not find any ammo locally in Ma. except at Bass Pro, both Rem. & Fed 140g were $33.99 per 20 or $1.70 ea.

Two Questions??

1. Start reloading or is there surplus ammo available? I don't need hunting loads to shoot paper. Most dealers will not ship to Ma. because of the Stupid Gun Laws.

2. When I get the Swede, can I list the pictures here, and get the input of the forum on how I did on G/B.

Thanks - Arlie Anderson

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
surplus swede ammo has not been available for several years now. Reloading is the way to go. for M96: RL22, 142gr SMK is a great combination for me - in the event you want to start getting components. PPU 6.5x55 commercial ammo can be had for as low as $13.50 per box of 20 if you can find it, but around $15 is more realistic now a days.
post the picks here and welcome to the forum!
Lastly, congratulations!!!!

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,175 Posts
We love pictures. :thumbsup:

Like you said, I don't know if they will ship to The People's Republic of Mass. but the PPU 139 grain Soft Point is the best commercial ammo you will find. After you shoot some you have some good brass to reload also.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/65x55-swedish

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
All the above. I escaped to NH many years ago. Get some good brass and reload!
If you can find some Swedish blanks or gallery rounds, they are an excellent source of primed brass to pull the "bullets" and reload. Berdan primed, but Swedish spec. brass. Add your own powder and bullets.
Kaifs has about a bizillion of them.(not for sale)

·
Copper Bullet Member
124 Posts
Reloading is definitely the way to go and no large outlay for equipment is needed. I just use a Lee loader for the 6.5 Swedish. I get much better accuracy with my own reloads neck sizing only. The Lee is pretty quick once you get the feel for it. I have noticed that the .264 bullets seem to be in shorter supply than a lot of other sizes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, reloading is the way to go. Any match-type bullet of 139-142 grains, with a slower powder, will be very accurate. And quite a few non-match bullets in that weight range. Lots of good info in the sticky.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,131 Posts
I got the last of SAMCO's M94/41 milsurp a couple years ago. It is late 70's vintage made by Norma. The brass is tarnished, reportedly from contact with the cardboard it is packed in; the cardboard pulp was not acid-free. The brass can be cleaned. I chuck each case in a Lee universal shell holder in a cordless drill and spin it against a non-metallic green scouring pad. Without this preparation, you can expect some nasty sticky bolt. I have Tula Berdan primers and also reload it. As others have already mentioned, Prvi Partizan 139 gr SP shoots fairly well in the M96/M38 and groups better than the Prvi FMJ. (There is nothing "wrong" with Prvi 6.5X55 FMJ; it shoots MOA in my CZ550. It does seem to prefer a modern rifle with SAAMI spec chambering and 1 in 9" twist.) My favorite bullet is the 140 gr Nosler HPBT. It costs less than the Sierra MK's and groups just as well at 100-300 yards, the maximum I can shoot on my club's range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the information, I think I will go with a lee loader to start, because I'm in the doghouse for now. My wife of 41 years asked me last Sunday what I wanted for my Birthday in early May, and I said I'm all set, I just got a M96 Swedish Mauser on Gunbroker that day. She was NOT pleased about NOT being in the loop, not a matter of $$$, but not telling her first. 41 years of marriage and I have stepped in it before, but I will be 67 and married 42 years by May 13, and I feel a slight Chill in the air. Thanks - Arlie

·
Silver Bullet member
5,884 Posts
Thank you all for the information, I think I will go with a lee loader to start, because I'm in the doghouse for now. My wife of 41 years asked me last Sunday what I wanted for my Birthday in early May, and I said I'm all set, I just got a M96 Swedish Mauser on Gunbroker that day. She was NOT pleased about NOT being in the loop, not a matter of $$$, but not telling her first. 41 years of marriage and I have stepped in it before, but I will be 67 and married 42 years by May 13, and I feel a slight Chill in the air. Thanks - Arlie
You did it ALL wrong, Sir. Forty-three years ago I met a fine-looking gal at our archery and gun club, whisked her off her feet and married her.

She would let me have any gun I wanted if I wasn't already over my limit in this county. Up until the handgun ban I had 118 of 'em. Now only fifteen rifles and three handguns that we are allowed to have on mainland UK.

tac

·
Registered
38 Posts
SG AMMO has some PPU SP 139 grain ammo priced very well. Most shops want $25 or more for soft points. I just bought 200 rounds shipped for $153 to my door. .765 cents per round, or or $15.30 per box.. I plan to reload soon as I heard cost can be as low as .34 to .41 cents per round. PPU brass has a good reputation among re-loaders.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
The PPU ammo is very good. I bought 5 boxes just for the brass, but was surprised at how well it shoots. I reload for my CG63 using RCBS dies and Hornady 129 grain SSTs. I found bullets at Butch's Reloading ($29.99/100) and shipping was incredibly fast (like 2 days).

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I shoot Lapua 139 Scenar in my CG63 and M96. Both these rifles strongly favor the Lapua bullets.
139gr Scenars have OUTMATCHED thus far all others out of my heavier barreled swedes. M96 performs best for me with 142gr SMK with 140gr Berger Hybrid close second. I have not had a chance to compare 140hybrids to 139gr Lapua in Heavy Barrels yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just switched to 139-gr Scenars when I couldn't get any more 140 Hornady A-max. At least as accurate and shoot to same POA in my M96 FSR. But pricier. The Nosler CCs are probably the best deal out there regarding match bullets.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last Question, I saw this on Samco:

6.5x55 Swedish Ball with Wooden Bullet Swedish Mfg. NC/BE. Packed 20 rounds per box, 200 rounds per pack, 800 rounds per carton. Wt. #28 Lbs. per carton.

Caution: Special should be taken when firing this ammo. Wooden bullets can penetrate.
4.9¢ per Round 200 ROUNDS
$9.80 Quantity:

If I bought these at $4.90 per round and then pulled the wooden bullet & powder, replaced with new powder and 139 g bullet, would that work for target work in my New/Old M96? Thanks - Arlie

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.