Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
Another reason we love 6.5x55. As I mentioned earlier, it is the "Will Rogers" of hand loads. I have a reduced charge load that is perfect for 200 yds. There is abundant flexibility in powder charge and bullet weight, at least within 120 - 160 grs.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
love the gist of your comment, Watson. It takes a loooong time for some of us... myself included, to realize this is the best part of handloading; reduced loads.
That's exactly it, Frosty. I've shot reduced loads through many rifles, but m94 carbine is my favorite. For all of you, guys, who's fortunate enough to have one, load 10-12 gr of Unique under 120 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter SP FB and tell me if that was not the most fun you've had with a bolt gun. Put a good crimp on it with Lee FCD and don't bother with any lead sleds, m.o.a's or paper targets... Empty cans at 75-100 yards will do just fine... You gotta hit 'em just right to make them fly..:devilish:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
What do you, guys, shoot in your carbines? I am mostly interested in reduced power loads. 6.5 x55 happens to be one of my favorite calibers for reloading and I've had many Swedish Mausers, including more than a few m94s in the past. With m96 and m38 it's pretty straight forward, any slow powders like 4350 or RL22 and 140 gr and up bullets will do, but what about the shorties? Most of the carbines will shoot very high at any reasonable distances and when fired with m41 surplus they are loud and obnoxious. I don't hunt any more, so no need for the moose slaying loads, just paper punching at 75-150 yards.
I try to duplicate the original load with the long heavy bullet driven at a modest velocity. IMR 4320 or 3031. They are fast enough to mostly burn up. Less muzzle blast. At the lower velocity the sights seem to regulate better.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts