Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
9,692 Posts
The problem with the M94 is that it shoots the same ammo as the M96. The fast twist favors slow burning powder, so the short M94 barrel wastes a lot of powder gas. I don't have an M94, but I do have an Izhevsk M38 Mosin Nagant. Its short barrel produces the notorious 6-foot long flame from the muzzle with typical service loads. So I have a special load just for this carbine-length MN, using powder with the equivalent burn rate of IMR4895. This powder leaves a lot of empty space in the case so accuracy suffers, but at least I reduce the risk of starting a brush fire.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,692 Posts
. Try some Unique with .312 Hornady XTP 100 gr in your m38, Leon. Just set 'em as far out as you can for reliable feeding...
I have to make do with what I have on hand. I've been using Vihta Vuori N135 (I scored a couple of 2# bottles) with Sierra .311 174 gr. These bullets actually mike .3115" and my M38 seems to prefer .312" bullets. Accuracy to 200 yds is pretty good, and the main attraction of this rifle is its short sight radius which shows no mercy to any sighting error. It's a great way to keep iron sight skills well honed.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,692 Posts
I think 7x57 is the most underrated Mauser cartridge. Only Spain and Serbia had the good sense to adopt it. No need to discuss its role in the Boer wars. I don't have anything in this caliber, but if I ever find a minty VZ 24 I won't hesitate.

I also shoot and reload the Swiss GP11 7.5x55. I mentioned recently on the Swiss forum that 6.5x55 is the "Will Rogers" or reloads since it never met a load it didn't like. 7.5x55 on the other hand can be extremely fussy, particularly with bullet seating depth and COAL. I've also mentioned here that I shoot an M1 Garand fitted with the Criterion 6.5x55 barrel. I use a Schuster adjustable gas plug with it since the slow Rel 22 or Vihta Vuuri N165 loads I like have excessive port pressure. But this rifle shoots reliably and accuracy is a given, and my shoulder does not take a beating.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,692 Posts
Another reason we love 6.5x55. As I mentioned earlier, it is the "Will Rogers" of hand loads. I have a reduced charge load that is perfect for 200 yds. There is abundant flexibility in powder charge and bullet weight, at least within 120 - 160 grs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts