Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you, guys, shoot in your carbines? I am mostly interested in reduced power loads. 6.5 x55 happens to be one of my favorite calibers for reloading and I've had many Swedish Mausers, including more than a few m94s in the past. With m96 and m38 it's pretty straight forward, any slow powders like 4350 or RL22 and 140 gr and up bullets will do, but what about the shorties? Most of the carbines will shoot very high at any reasonable distances and when fired with m41 surplus they are loud and obnoxious. I don't hunt any more, so no need for the moose slaying loads, just paper punching at 75-150 yards.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I generally prefer long rifles for target shooting, S-R 1911, k31, m28-30 or '39, m96 is what I used the most when I was into the m.o.a thing, but.... The little Swede is a very unique carbine among all the other carbines. First it's the size of course, second is the round itself. So, you have a very short barrel with a high twist ratio. Burning slow powders through it is not the most optimal solution. I do cast for several calibers, but hate messing with gas checks. I use Unique powder for my reduced loads. And as with any such load every rifle I tried it in shot low, so the sight has to be moved to 300-400 meters in order to hit p.o.a at 75-100 yards. These little carbines work perfectly for this. With 120 gr Sierra SP they actually hit just a tad above the bull at that distance without moving the rear sight, just the way I like it, the recoil is nil and it's still more powerful than most of the magnum handguns out there. Makes a perfect fun/plinking gun and easy on the powder supply.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My point precisely. There is only about 16 inches of actual barrel there, so slow powders are not the best. I too use IMR 4895 for the "full power" load in a m94. I managed to score a bunch of 120 gr Sierra FB SP bullets for cheap, so that's what I use for plinking. For serious target work with m96 it's Sierra 142 gr MK. Try some Unique with .312 Hornady XTP 100 gr in your m38, Leon. Just set 'em as far out as you can for reliable feeding. I use a .309 90 gr XTP in my '94 Winchester 30-30 as well.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the biggest limiting factor of the m94 carbine. Very short sight radius and really tiny V-notch. I have a spare rear sight that I filed bigger and dipper U-notch in. Brought the P.O.I down and much easier to see. I just take the original sight off and use it on every carbine. The rear sight on the Swedish carbine is somewhat fragile, there is a reason why many m94s have mismatched or replaced sights.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's the reason I gave up on K98's. While the size and overall handling is excellent,but the cartridge does not respond well to downloading. 7.92x57 likes it warm and heavy. I generally try to stick with pre-WWI firearms and the only rifles I've had in 7x57 were the long '08 Brazilians and '95 Chileans, but I do agree that 7mm is a superb cartridge and very underrated. These days I download everything, even .32 acp. My pre-War PPK runs just fine on 2 grains of W231...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
love the gist of your comment, Watson. It takes a loooong time for some of us... myself included, to realize this is the best part of handloading; reduced loads.
That's exactly it, Frosty. I've shot reduced loads through many rifles, but m94 carbine is my favorite. For all of you, guys, who's fortunate enough to have one, load 10-12 gr of Unique under 120 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter SP FB and tell me if that was not the most fun you've had with a bolt gun. Put a good crimp on it with Lee FCD and don't bother with any lead sleds, m.o.a's or paper targets... Empty cans at 75-100 yards will do just fine... You gotta hit 'em just right to make them fly..:devilish:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts