Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you, guys, shoot in your carbines? I am mostly interested in reduced power loads. 6.5 x55 happens to be one of my favorite calibers for reloading and I've had many Swedish Mausers, including more than a few m94s in the past. With m96 and m38 it's pretty straight forward, any slow powders like 4350 or RL22 and 140 gr and up bullets will do, but what about the shorties? Most of the carbines will shoot very high at any reasonable distances and when fired with m41 surplus they are loud and obnoxious. I don't hunt any more, so no need for the moose slaying loads, just paper punching at 75-150 yards.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,220 Posts
I shoot factory PPU 139 gr. SP. Why load for something I'm not expecting m.o.a. out of. I don't shoot it much anyway.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have wondered over this.

I have a Spanish, saddle ring carbine in 7mm Mauser and I only chose to use 175 grain factory loads when I tried to figure out if I could hunt with it...it shot high at 100 yards.

I figure hand loading was the only option but I went with my Savage model 24 with slugs.

I'm outta that game but still wonder what others think/decide??

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I generally prefer long rifles for target shooting, S-R 1911, k31, m28-30 or '39, m96 is what I used the most when I was into the m.o.a thing, but.... The little Swede is a very unique carbine among all the other carbines. First it's the size of course, second is the round itself. So, you have a very short barrel with a high twist ratio. Burning slow powders through it is not the most optimal solution. I do cast for several calibers, but hate messing with gas checks. I use Unique powder for my reduced loads. And as with any such load every rifle I tried it in shot low, so the sight has to be moved to 300-400 meters in order to hit p.o.a at 75-100 yards. These little carbines work perfectly for this. With 120 gr Sierra SP they actually hit just a tad above the bull at that distance without moving the rear sight, just the way I like it, the recoil is nil and it's still more powerful than most of the magnum handguns out there. Makes a perfect fun/plinking gun and easy on the powder supply.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,504 Posts
The problem with the M94 is that it shoots the same ammo as the M96. The fast twist favors slow burning powder, so the short M94 barrel wastes a lot of powder gas. I don't have an M94, but I do have an Izhevsk M38 Mosin Nagant. Its short barrel produces the notorious 6-foot long flame from the muzzle with typical service loads. So I have a special load just for this carbine-length MN, using powder with the equivalent burn rate of IMR4895. This powder leaves a lot of empty space in the case so accuracy suffers, but at least I reduce the risk of starting a brush fire.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My point precisely. There is only about 16 inches of actual barrel there, so slow powders are not the best. I too use IMR 4895 for the "full power" load in a m94. I managed to score a bunch of 120 gr Sierra FB SP bullets for cheap, so that's what I use for plinking. For serious target work with m96 it's Sierra 142 gr MK. Try some Unique with .312 Hornady XTP 100 gr in your m38, Leon. Just set 'em as far out as you can for reliable feeding. I use a .309 90 gr XTP in my '94 Winchester 30-30 as well.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,504 Posts
. Try some Unique with .312 Hornady XTP 100 gr in your m38, Leon. Just set 'em as far out as you can for reliable feeding...
I have to make do with what I have on hand. I've been using Vihta Vuori N135 (I scored a couple of 2# bottles) with Sierra .311 174 gr. These bullets actually mike .3115" and my M38 seems to prefer .312" bullets. Accuracy to 200 yds is pretty good, and the main attraction of this rifle is its short sight radius which shows no mercy to any sighting error. It's a great way to keep iron sight skills well honed.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the biggest limiting factor of the m94 carbine. Very short sight radius and really tiny V-notch. I have a spare rear sight that I filed bigger and dipper U-notch in. Brought the P.O.I down and much easier to see. I just take the original sight off and use it on every carbine. The rear sight on the Swedish carbine is somewhat fragile, there is a reason why many m94s have mismatched or replaced sights.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Watson's hitting all the salient points for the "SHORTY'S".

The barrels are so short that a percentage of the powder in most conventional rounds burns out of the muzzle, after the bullet has left the barrel.

The sights are usually challenging in the best light conditions.

But who doesn't LOVE them??

My dad gave me one of the Oviedo "scrubbies" back in 1972-3 (I have heard some people call them 1916 carbines). It's in 7 x 57 and looks brand new...so no real collector value. All the arsenal markings are gone...only has matching numbers on bolt and receiver.

This image is not my rifle...just an example of what it looks like...a bit like a 94 Swede...

Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Tree

I tried to sell it for $325-350, but no takers, back in 2017...could ask for more now, I guess, but I got out of selling firearms a while back??

When I thought I might try to hunt deer with it I went through a lot of work to see what it would do. I reasoned that factory ammo with the heaviest RNSP bullet might be wise at the 100 yard shots I might get in the thick Ontario (Canada) woods I had access to. It always shot high but only about 7-8 inches at 100 yards.

I actually tried to figure ways to elevate the front sight (thank god I never actually altered the rifle!!!) to get the point of impact issues sorted.

Watson has the physics sorted out...shooting 7mm out of that short barrel busts it down to .30-30 specs...WEAK.

I thought handloading would be the best "work around" but I never geared up to actually do it. A safe queen for almost 50 years, like my other firearms.

I also had a Savage model 24 (.22/20 gauge) and it just made more sense to walk through the woods with bird shot, slugs and .22 ammo...could take anything with that gun.

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I lucked into a Swede M41 (AGA m/44 scope) way back when they went for $125.00 and my dad gave me one of those classy little BSA Viscount Hunter's with the medium length action in 7x 57.

I was totally kitted out by age 18. Makes me laugh...I gave away and destroyed more firearms, over the years, than I own currently! :D

I always loved that little carbine but I never figured out how to shoot it inside 100 meters.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,504 Posts
I think 7x57 is the most underrated Mauser cartridge. Only Spain and Serbia had the good sense to adopt it. No need to discuss its role in the Boer wars. I don't have anything in this caliber, but if I ever find a minty VZ 24 I won't hesitate.

I also shoot and reload the Swiss GP11 7.5x55. I mentioned recently on the Swiss forum that 6.5x55 is the "Will Rogers" or reloads since it never met a load it didn't like. 7.5x55 on the other hand can be extremely fussy, particularly with bullet seating depth and COAL. I've also mentioned here that I shoot an M1 Garand fitted with the Criterion 6.5x55 barrel. I use a Schuster adjustable gas plug with it since the slow Rel 22 or Vihta Vuuri N165 loads I like have excessive port pressure. But this rifle shoots reliably and accuracy is a given, and my shoulder does not take a beating.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's the reason I gave up on K98's. While the size and overall handling is excellent,but the cartridge does not respond well to downloading. 7.92x57 likes it warm and heavy. I generally try to stick with pre-WWI firearms and the only rifles I've had in 7x57 were the long '08 Brazilians and '95 Chileans, but I do agree that 7mm is a superb cartridge and very underrated. These days I download everything, even .32 acp. My pre-War PPK runs just fine on 2 grains of W231...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts