Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago when they were available and for a very reasonable price I bought a consecutive numbered pair of Swedish M40 pistols. They both have Danish Police numbers stamped on their frames and these numbers are consecutive as well as the serial numbers of the pistols. Both pieces are in excellent condition, one slightly "more" excellent than the other. In other words one has a little bluing ware where the other has practically zero "0" bluing ware. If anyone is interested I'd post photos.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
Well, I can just look at mine, but they are very interesting pistols and great shooters. Have you had yours out to the range?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had mine out to shoot on my own range. Yes they are great shooters and point very well. They are heavy and I wouldn't want to haul one around very far in a situation that required much physical activity. I do like shooting them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes they are great shooters and point very well. They are heavy and I wouldn't want to haul one around very far in a situation that required much physical activity.
Agreed. I actually like the weight and heft of the pistol, as recoil is about nil and I find it to be more accurate & pleasant to shoot than a Luger, which has a similar grip angle.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
It has a tendency to crack if fed a steady diet of hot Swedish post-war ammo. They're fine with Nato-standard and below.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have read that another reason for a cracked frame is the fact that the Lahti pistols have an accelerator cam under the receiver that as the receiver recoils in arctic temperatures, the cam hits the frame and gives the receiver/barrel unit a kick backward to help overcome thickened lubrication. The article stated it was a good idea to remove the cam if firing the gun in warmer temperatures to keep undue impact stress from damaging the frame or receiver. I owned and fired an M40 a long time ago and removing the cam is simple and the gun worked just fine without it.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't fired my M40's a lot but what shooting I have done with them has been very enjoyable. I haven't noticed any unusual functions or malfunctions and no damage anywhere in the receiver or frame. The M40 is a very well made design and shoots very well. I like everything about them . They are heavy and if I were afoot carrying one I'd want it in a shoulder holster or in some sort of carrying devise on my back.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My Danish police marked M40 failed to function with the accelerator cam removed. This was in summer in NC. I don't recall what ammo I was using but it definitely was not sub gun ammo. The malfunctions where short stroking and ejection problems. Returning the cam corrected the problem.

Vlad

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vladymere ---- Thanks for your comment on removing the accelerator . I was going to try that on one of my M40's but after reading your post I believe I'll leave everything just as is. I've never fried mine with acc. removed and it has functioned just fine so I'm a believer in the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
As stated previously, the M40 frame cracks resulted from the hot SMG ammo being used in them. In the late '50s and early '60s, there were several unscrupulous ammo dealers who were repackaging 9mm ammo which was marked "For SMG Only" as "regular" 9mm ammo. This resulted in many damaged 9mm handguns.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Swedish M40 Pistols & Holster

Attached are photos of my two Swedish M40 pistols with holster, mags. cleaning rod and loading tool. No on asked for these photos but I thought I'd post them anyway . When I bought the pistols I bought a M 96 Swedish rifle in 6.5x55 mm as you might say a set. That rifle is a TACK DRIVER and I wish now I'd bought two of them to go with the two pistols. I'm afraid there might be a knock down drag out between the two grandsons who will inherit this stuff.
Here are the photos of the two excellent M40 pistols.

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
As stated previously, the M40 frame cracks resulted from the hot SMG ammo being used in them. In the late '50s and early '60s, there were several unscrupulous ammo dealers who were repackaging 9mm ammo which was marked "For SMG Only" as "regular" 9mm ammo. This resulted in many damaged 9mm handguns.
Pretty sure the damage was done in Sweden, at the hands of Swedish troops loading the ammo they were supplied with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.