Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Congratulations on acquiring the finishing touch!(y)

The Crown C, as I am sure you already know, is the mark of the State Arsenal at Carl Gustavs Stad, and these bayonets are relatively scarce bayonets today, as only about 15.000 rifles were ever made.
The two sets of initials are the government inspectors marks. GB may be Gustav Blix, and JFL is Johan Fredrik Ljundgren.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Congratulations, your persistence and patience has paid off. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.
Regards & Be Well
Dan

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Swedes really liked long socket bayonets, my longest is a 1791 pattern, and that is just under 75cm ! (30"). The 1864 pattern is some 655 cm long (ca. 26").
This shows the extreme length of some Swedish bayonets. Sweden 1791 (Top), Sweden 1864 (centre), and British 1842 pattern (bottom).
Wood Line Wood stain Household hardware Hardwood

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The basal locking ring is an unusual feature, also IIRC only some 800 examples of the 1864 bayonet were made.
However, must admit I only collect bayonets to go with whatever rifles that are in my collection.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The basal locking ring is a feature often found on Swedish and Norwegian bayonets prior to about 1855.

No, in 1868 some rifles were converted to a Remington magazine system, and only 800 or so of these bayonets were made, but these are marked differently. I think that probably all the original 15.000 rifles may have had bayonets. !5.000 really isn't that many. I have at least three of them, and I know where there are a couple more, but they are relatively scarce bayonets nonetheless, especially when one thinks of how many Swedish 1867 pattern Remington bayonets are around, or the converted 1867/89 version.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know almost nothing about them, except their existence and the bayonet. However, this site should give you the relevant information I think.

Swedish 1864/68 Hagström rifle conversion

The bayonet to the conversion, which as you thought earlier there were only some 800 made, has different markings, IIRC. either 1868 or 1869 on the blade ricasso, and the fuller starts much further down the blade than on the 1864 pattern. Other than that it is identical to the 1864.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - had discovered Keith Doyon had resurrected the site, a most useful reference.
Had had dealings with him many years ago (30+).
Given the price it was too much to hope the example was one of the few:cry:. The fuller on mine is 150mm down from the stem.
However, not displeased to have one to fit the rifle:).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well, as you know, the price is a possible indication that you just might have found a gem!

Some years ago I paid just £20 for a socket bayonet at a market, one like yours with a basal locking ring. I was happy, even though I didn't collect them back then and didn't know anything about them, it was simply a wall hanger. Later, with a bit more knowledge, I found out that it was in fact extremely rare, a Norwegian 1842 pattern bayonet, made in Liege, Belgium in 1943, and one of only 100 that were ever made! Mine is number 19, and so far one of only about five of them that are known to exist.
Brown Rectangle Wood Amber Wood stain

Norwegian 1842 (top) and Norwegian 1846 which replaced it (below).

Wood Trigger Wood stain Gun barrel Varnish

Liege marks and date on the elbow of the rare 1842 pattern 8Top).

So, you never know what you may be lucky enough to find, it does happen!:)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I have several Swede and Norwegian socket bayonets very similar to the ones shown above.
I bought them from a militaria shop in Stockholm in 2001, but have never ID'd them.
I'm thinning out my bayonet collection a bit and this post has inspired me to get off my butt and post some photos.
I also have a bunch or other Swedish bayonets I will sell, including a scarce very early M1896 with a flat pull-button.
Email me for a list of those blades.
Regards, Ned

1 - 15 of 15 Posts