Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Definitely myself. My father’s family came here in the early 20th Century from Sweden. I remember as a young boy the older relatives with thick accents around the holidays.

Love the guns and other cool items, the politics can stay there!

Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
981 Posts
My maternal grandfather was born and raised in Sundsvall and emigrated here around 1930 as a young man so he never served in the Swedish military, but that is my main reason for collecting. I actually found a Swedish M1910(?) cartridge belt with a name and the town Sundsvall written on it at a small town that was having an antique fair in North Carolina of all places.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My great grandmother came here from Sweden around 1880 to live with other relatives of hers and mine. Hilda Sophia Kjellstrand settled around Paxton, Illinois. Paxton had around 90% people of Swedish heritage. back then. Her siblings stayed in Sweden. I still have contact with their descendants today. That is the big reason I got into Swedish rifles and all things associated. Saw an ad in the the large format magazine whose name escapes me(like a newspaper) that advertised Swedish rifles for sale - through Samco I think. Had to have one, then two. then ..... you know the story.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,189 Posts
My great grandmother came here from Sweden around 1880 to live with other relatives of hers and mine. Hilda Sophia Kjellstrand settled around Paxton, Illinois. Paxton had around 90% people of Swedish heritage. back then. Her siblings stayed in Sweden. I still have contact with their descendants today. That is the big reason I got into Swedish rifles and all things associated. Saw an ad in the the large format magazine whose name escapes me(like a newspaper) that advertised Swedish rifles for sale - through Samco I think. Had to have one, then two. then ..... you know the story.
I know it well. I never knew it until Ancestory told me........hey dude, you got some Swede in you. Kinda cool. I liked the rifles long before I had any clue.

·
Registered
877 Posts
In my case, we had Swedish Immigrants come to our area in the UK, and leave their mark.
Local tiny village where a hall was built, is called Upsall, from Upsalla in Sweden.,.. lots of Nordic words in the north of England.

This was back in the 7-900 AD time period roughly.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
My father was 100% Swedish American. His mother was born here in 1900 to emigrents who had came here in the 1870's. She was the youngest of 16 children. (Fernstrüm) His father was born right after the boat docked, so a citizen. (Quarfööt) Some siblings stayed in Sweden. He was a WW1 vet (a butcher feeding the troops) and married my grandma right after the war.
My mother's family is a long craaazzy story that takes awhile. No Swedes there.
But heritage didn't play a part in my Swede hoarding, $39.95 apiece if I bought more than ten and $34.95 for twenty. Bayonets for $4.99/10 and $3.99/20+, did.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No Swede in me. I am of English/Scott heritage. I am from the Norwegian and Dutch part of Iowa but was raised in a Polish community in Minnesota.
The '96 Mauser is an elegant design and the cartridge is fun, accurate and pleasant to shoot. English military rifles too me are just plain ugly and have 0 appeal. I'll take a Swede anyday over the rest.
I have a Swiss rifle too, it's nice but still not in the same league as the Swedish Mauser.
Ken

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
My paternal grand parents came to the US from Sweden in 1884. They settled in Elbow Lake, Minn. and raised five children there. My father and his twin sister were the last two stragglers. My grandfather and grandmother never learned to speak English and I can remember as a child my father talking with them only in Swedish. My grandfather was a wheel wright and I've heard he could make the tightest wagon / buggy wheels in the state of Minn. I wish I could have known them better and had taken the time to learn some Swedish. I have a matched pair ( consecutive serial numbers) of M40 Swedish military pistols in 9mm and a M96 Swedish Mauser rifle in 6.5x55mm. The three pieces are in near mint condition. One of the pistols has a little blue ware on the muzzle.
My mother's grandparents were from Germany. I did pick up some of the German lingo from her side and I spent six years living in Germany. I was able to at least ask where the bath room is and order something to eat ion German.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Millbilly ----- You asked for those of us with Swedish heritage to enter this forum and provide such info. I did just that with a fairly detailed comment. Not one word of comment from yourself or anyone else after several days . What is the point of asking for info. if you don't care to respond to some of us who do provide their linage as requested ??

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My family is from Italy, boat builders and grape smashers. I love everything swedish. From rifles, kitchen ware, Husqvarna meat grinders, ect I buy it all. We use the Swedish bakeware. It’s castiron porcelain coated the food stays hot a longtime.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.