Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking through some old gun magazines, I came across this advertisement. I bought my first m/94 Carbine from Kleins in 1960 and I can confirm that $29.95 was the price plus $4.00 to ship it to Canada. No Homeland Security, No hateful anti-gun Laws, no Customs problems, no Mail problems. Life was a lot simpler then.

Imaginative advertising too. "The same Carbine that has won so many competitive European shoots."

The average wage at the time was about $1.00 per hour, so it would have taken 3/4 of a weeks pay to buy this firearm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My dad ended up with a 1917 about that time. He sporterized it and wishes now he would have left it stock. Interesting that the M94 doesn't show the stock disk. If I could go back in time I'd buy a truckload of these!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for the heck of it, I looked up the inflation rate on the Bank of Canada's website. Since our American and Canadian Dollar is about even today, the present figure is about the same. However, back in 1960, the Canadian Dollar was worth about $1.20 for every American Dollar, so the Canadian price paid would be approximately 80% of the prices shown.

The m/94 Swedish Carbine at $30 in 1960 would have a comparative price of about $250 American Dollars or about $200 Canadian Dollars if relative today.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Buffdog - This posting certainly brought back "the snows of yesteryear" (about 1960) for me. I remember an entire wall of the Montgomery Ward store in Clovis, NM with these little carbines lined up and for sale for less than $30 ea. So many bargains and so little money in High School driving a tractor for neighbors at .75 per hour. My little brother and I later finally persuaded our Dad and uncle to sign up for the NRA and the DCM 1903A3's at about $17 ea delivered by Railway Express. It wasn't that easy to come with the $17. The weeks of anticipation were character building.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
I remember the ones at Monkey Wards.
I noticed they were mostly mismatched, which was a big deal in those days.
some had slings.
I seem to recall that the mms involved the bands where they removed to put on the extension.
Neat little rifles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.