Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought this one home today! Really love this one. It goes nicely with my KA 1 Coastal Artillery Rifle.
Other than the rod, this is all original and matching. In fact, this one still has the original V sight notch.
This is a 1925 CG M96. It has the steel stock disk. F 16, Rifle #1. Wing based in Uppsala.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,786 Posts
But it's not in the powder blue chair of honor.:confused:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Nice find Steve!!
With a date of 1925 the rear sight should have a "U" notch? The "V" notch you show is in the slide which all m/96 have.
Only the really early and untouched sights have a "V" notch in the rear sight field of the ladder sight(not the slide).
These rare early type sights are called "V"notch sights.
Unfortunately I don't know the date anymore when the rear sights were updated from "V" to "U" notch, there was even a special file made for the update. Hopefully "swede" is able to show the tool and give us the date???
V notch sight.jpg

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,564 Posts
Vee notch !

He is showing the slider with the vee notch , but I believe the ladder & front blade are a vee as well . It has not been updated . Here is the special file for the "U" notch . This modification was made in the late 1940's . It is RARE to find a rifle that was not updated .

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice find Steve!!
With a date of 1925 the rear sight should have a "U" notch? The "V" notch you show is in the slide which all m/96 have.
Only the really early and untouched sights have a "V" notch in the rear sight field of the ladder sight(not the slide).
These rare early type sights are called "V"notch sights.
Unfortunately I don't know the date anymore when the rear sights were updated from "V" to "U" notch, there was even a special file made for the update. Hopefully "swede" is able to show the tool and give us the date???
View attachment 603454
Actually I was taking pic of the numbers on the raised sight. The slide notch and ladder notch are both
"V"notch. Front blade is a V also. First I have ever seen.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Wow! I like air force rifles from any country but you rarely see a swede!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Steve,

Very, very nice! Seems like the Air Force rifles missed some of the regular updates, like bore condition disks and in your rifle's case, the updated sights. Excellent example of an m/96 in original condition. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,835 Posts
nice first i have seen with both v's...very nicematching find indeed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts