Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious about twist rates fast enough to shoot long heavy bullets. How about your 8mm rifles? What is the twist in inches? I'm most interested in the versions made off FN 98 actions for the Swede market? Thanks Packy

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I was really surprised it wasn't a faster twist and must have pushed a tight patch through the bore from each end a dozen times!
D

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thanks Ordtech - I'll check my small ring commercial 8x57 guns tonight and see what those come up to be. Might be interesting if there is a difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More 7.9MM ramblings.

I had hoped the twist rates were faster for some looooong round nose bullets. I will stick to the 9.3s as they do well with the 285 gr RN. I should have known. Don't tell Leespeed I was considering going AWOL on the 9.3 to the 7.9. Krigevaer, did you find the same data on your Swede 7.9mms? Around 9.5 to ten? Thanks. Packy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Packrattusnongratus,

I measured my 8x57 mm rifles with the cleaning rod and patch method and observed the following. Hopefully it helps you out.

Model 640 with newer FN 98 action and no thumb cut-out:
1:9.75" twist
Model 640 with the older FN 98 action, having the thumb cut-out:
1:9 twist

Kirk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had hoped the twist rates were faster for some looooong round nose bullets. I will stick to the 9.3s as they do well with the 285 gr RN. I should have known. Don't tell Leespeed I was considering going AWOL on the 9.3 to the 7.9. Krigevaer, did you find the same data on your Swede 7.9mms? Around 9.5 to ten? Thanks. Packy
Well, my Remington Model 700 Classic in 8x57JS has a 1-9.5" twist rate and it shoots 220 gr Woodleigh round nose bullets very well.

BTW, it also knocks the snot out of Warthogs!!!

I've got a couple of boxes of the Woodleigh 250 gr round noses but I haven't tried working up a load for them yet.

Oh, and the 8mm 220 gr bullet has about the same sectional density as the 9.3mm 286 gr bullet.

8mm 220 gr, SD = .301
9.3mm 286 gr, SD = .305

Cheers!
-Bob F.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum - Great photo of your warthog. What country were you hunting in? That sounds like a fantasy safari - Africa with HVA rifles. Any other game fall to the mighty Husqvarna?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I shoot a 226 grain heat treated cast bullet at jacketed speeds with no problems from my 9.5" twist Mauser sporter. ~Andy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
PACKY, leaving the 9.3????

Actually, I have a 640 with 98 action set up for bad weather deer hunting this year too.

I must check twist rate.

But regarding the use of 220-225 grain 8mm bullets in a rifle with a 1/10" twist, they should be totally stabilized. The .308 caliber rifles shoot 220's quite well with 1/10" twists, and they have higher sectional densities than the same weight bullets in the .323 diameter. In fact, somewhat longer, pointy 8mm's probably stay straight, too.

Having said that, the standard German rate was around 9.5, was it not?

I never understand why some companies do not stick with the quicker twists to stabilize the full range of bullets available in each caliber. For example, why would Husqvarna make the break with 1/10" and go to a 1/12" twist in .30-06 as they did? Strange. And why would they change to a slower twist in 8mm? Who knows.

I don't really buy the notion that the accuracy is noticeably better for the middle range of bullet weights, at least in calibers such as .308 and .323. And of course there are those rifles that handle heavyweights even tho they possess slower twists. Heck, my bull-barrelled Savage .223 rat rifle groups one-holers with 50-55 grain bullets even with its sort-of quick 1/9" twist.

All to say that in 8mm, my personal opinion is that even with the 220's, the difference between 9.5 and 10 inches would be as noticeable as the smell of a mosquito's fart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum - Great photo of your warthog. What country were you hunting in? That sounds like a fantasy safari - Africa with HVA rifles. Any other game fall to the mighty Husqvarna?
Thanks for the welcome. I've been hanging out here for a few months but I just haven't posted much. I was hunting in South Africa back in 2005. But, sad to say, the rifle in the photo is a Remington 700 Classic in 8x57 and not a Husqvarna. Yeah, I'll go hang my head in shame now for posting a pic of a Remington on this forum.

But, you were asking about the twist rate for long round nose bullets in the 8x57 so I just wanted to point out that my Rem with the 9.5" twist rate shoots the 220 gr Woodleighs just fine.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lee Speed, the 96 won't go away. I will just have trouble deciding on which 9.3 to shoot. Will it be the Valmet in X74 or the Swede in X57? I really enjoy shooting both but for different reasons. I think I can shoot the 96 better with less practice. It feels better than the 412 at this point. After I have worn out those X74 Norma cases I may use the Valmet. Do all your 96s have that magic feel? I think I will forget the fast twist idea for the 8mm and put an 06 improved barrel on it. It is not a Swede anyway and has the clunky feel of a sporterized German 98. Done by someone with little knowledge. The Swede 98s must be great but I only own the commercial 96 in a Swede rifle. Thanks for all the real data. I will keep it for a future foray into the Swede 98 on an FN. God Bless y'all. Packy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts