Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at the local gunshop was an awfully gorgeous unthreaded 1917 Carl Gustafs Swede long rifle.

Matching but for the buttplate. And in the course of pawing it over and talking to the owners, they said they thought the bore needed cleaning. To my eye it was like new and mirror, but I used it as a chance to teach what the markings on the bore disc meant. They were shocked to realize that there was so much information on it, and learned a useful thing.

Here's the cruncher. I pointed out that with the mismatched buttplate, I thought chances were good that despite the bore disc stating it was a zero-wear rifle, the stock and disc could be a replacement to the action and thus the bore not slug to the exact measurements indicated on the disc.

Did I point that possibility out correctly, or is there a chance I gave them slight misinformation about the provenance of the rifle? It was a really nice clean swede, regardless, and it didn't affect their pricing any, but I thought it was an interesting dual-purpose lesson about how the disc could teach, but could also mislead.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,920 Posts
Today at the local gunshop was an awfully gorgeous unthreaded 1917 Carl Gustafs Swede long rifle.

Matching but for the buttplate. And in the course of pawing it over and talking to the owners, they said they thought the bore needed cleaning. To my eye it was like new and mirror, but I used it as a chance to teach what the markings on the bore disc meant. They were shocked to realize that there was so much information on it, and learned a useful thing.

Here's the cruncher. I pointed out that with the mismatched buttplate, I thought chances were good that despite the bore disc stating it was a zero-wear rifle, the stock and disc could be a replacement to the action and thus the bore not slug to the exact measurements indicated on the disc.

Did I point that possibility out correctly, or is there a chance I gave them slight misinformation about the provenance of the rifle? It was a really nice clean swede, regardless, and it didn't affect their pricing any, but I thought it was an interesting dual-purpose lesson about how the disc could teach, but could also mislead.

In my opinion, the stock disc only tells you the condition of the stock disc. You have to inspect/measure/scope the bore to determine it's condition.

About 5 years ago I helped a gunshow dealer swap out unit/older/unmarked-gray metal discs for newer, cleaner, marked discs. This was about 20 guns and we did it as fast as we could, no attention to markings.

The intent wasn't to deceive or raise the prices, the intent was to swap out old, ugly, dirty, gray discs for shiney nice ones. Ok, the unit marked ones stayed with me.....

PS - as a general rule I don't educate people that I negotiate with.

Also, never end a sentence with "with".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts