Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over at the Swedish Forum and got roundly spanked for not following that forum's rules on posting sporterized milsurps. I just came across a sporterized Swede. I believe this started life as a 94 Carbine, but my knowledge of Swedes is near nil. It's an 1895 Oberndorf Mauser marked receiver, with the letters HK on the side. It has the military stepped barrel, it's caliber 6.5 and there's a crown on the floorplate. That's about all that is military, as it is in a nicely shaped and figured Mannlicher stock. Here's some pics:

Any ballpark value? Bore is perfect, blue is decent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice looking rifle, looks like really nice wood on the stock. Value is
kind of hard to guess at. I follow the online auction sites a lot,
my guess is that if you put it online and started it at a penny, which
catches a lot of interest, and if you did it at a good time of year,
like when people have tax returns to spend, you would probably
get $200-$400 depending if you got a couple of guys in a bidding war to win it.
A lot of people love that 6.5x55 cartridge.

How is it when you put it to your shoulder? Do the sights line up easily?
I was to an auction several weeks ago that had a number of sporterized rifles.
In some cases, I just could not wrap my head around the buttstock to see through the sights.

·
Silver Bullet member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It fits and sights really nice, though the stock is a short one. Perfect for a woman or young teen boy, not uncomfortable at all on me. I guess the next step is to take it out and see how it shoots. I know I have a home for it, as I have a wife that shoots and seven grandsons that will eventually all need deer rifles. The wood is extremely dark at the butt, and full of burl all over. I need to clean the wood and buff up the metal. I think it's quite the shapely stock.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,441 Posts
gunluvver! That would bring big bucks down here. AU.$2000 at least. The position of the trigger looks like its a single set. A very popular caliber down here. I am green with envy. chester.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am glad that it fits well to your shoulder, it is clear that somebody did
a lot of work on that stock, good wood and good workmanship is something to be appreciated. I like the palm swell on the pistol grip. I've heard a lot
of good things about the 6.5x55 cartridge, good performance and low recoil,
ideal for a woman or child to shoot. I won an auction for one of those
Swedish Mauser's that Kimber sporterized some time back. My niece needs
a deer rifle. I have yet to pick it up from my gun dealer. I am curious if
Chester is right, is that a set trigger? I hope that it shoots well for you.

·
Silver Bullet member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trigger is the stock military trigger. The nosecap is nickel plated brass. I pulled it down and cleaned the wood with laquer thinner and 0000 steel wool. It brightened it up a bit. The receiver and trigger guard have been glass bedded. I used 333 Stock Wax (1/3 each of turpentine, beeswax, and boiled linseed oil) after cleaning and the thing is just beautiful! Chester, I'll be paying nowhere near what it's worth Down Under!

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
I posted this over at the Swedish Forum and got roundly spanked
The reason for that is quite simple.

It's not either a Carl Gustav or a Husqvarna-made firearm.

The Swedish forum is for Swedish-made firearms.

You posting that on the Swedish forum is like posting a BMW post on the Volvo site.

tac

·
Registered
19 Posts
Swede Sporter

The reason why the post was not 'acceptable' on the Swede Mil forum is that it has been sporterized, not because it isn't a Swede milsurp.Made FOR the Swedes by Germany's Mauser factory( to Swede specs) in Oberndorf.
The Swedes took over production just after a few yers and the rest were made by Carl Gustav's in Sweden.

It started life as an M94 Mauser used by the Swede military.
Very nice sporterization I'd add.Unless it just doesn't shoot, it's a dandy rifle for a lady or youth hunter, tho muzzle blast on the 18" barreled rifle will be a bit louder than the longer rifles..:)
Gunluvver, I sent you a PM..Jim

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
The reason why the post was not 'acceptable' on the Swede Mil forum is that it has been sporterized, not because it isn't a Swede milsurp.Made FOR the Swedes by Germany's Mauser factory( to Swede specs) in Oberndorf.
The Swedes took over production just after a few yers and the rest were made by Carl Gustav's in Sweden.

It started life as an M94 Mauser used by the Swede military.
Very nice sporterization I'd add.Unless it just doesn't shoot, it's a dandy rifle for a lady or youth hunter, tho muzzle blast on the 18" barreled rifle will be a bit louder than the longer rifles..:)
Gunluvver, I sent you a PM..Jim
Dear Mr Jim in Oregon - Thanks for the explanation.

tac - spending New Year on Cannon Beach!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Swede Sporter

Gunluvver,
Most of my PM is contained here.Think the systems may not be working right yet..or likely I just don't know how to use them...:)

Hang on to that little Mannlicher stocked M94..It's a keeper.
I am in Milwaukie.IF you need any help with reloading for the 6,5x55, holler me up.
Hillsburrito isn't too far from me..:)

T.Foley,
New Years Eve is our wedding anniversary and my wife an I often go to Seaside for a few days then..
The Oregon coast is always great, even in stormy winter weather..Jim

·
Registered
150 Posts
Actually, the German built Swedes are somewhat rare, and occasionally demand a premium. I'd keep it. Some of those sporterized M94s are real gems!

LLS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts