Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to experiment with the Swede blank powder(SBP) pulled from the red wooden blanks from J&G. (Since I have almost 4 lbs of it and pistol powder is in short supply.) I have read that it is inconsistent lot-to-lot but since I figured mine is all mixed together in one 4lb "lot" it is a decent representation of the average burn rate of this stuff.

I read that it is close to the burn rate of Unique. I loaded up a 44 mag with coated cast bullets, 8 grains each of both Unique and SBP. Medium crimp. It seems that the powder I have is *significantly* slower than Unique. With the same powder charge I achieved appx 1000 FPS with the Unique and around 660 FPS with the SBP. Modest recoil from Unique and almost no recoil from the SBP. Both loads were quite accurate at 13 yds off a bag rest.

There was unburnt powder w the SBP and sooty cases. It appears the pressure is too low and the SBP that I have is closer to Longshot. I will work up and relay the results.

Disclaimer: my result may vary tremendously from your result.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thanks for the info. I’ve about that much saved up also. Just starting to cast so I’ve been looking at it sitting in the corner...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I tried the same pulled powder in some 32 S&W Long loads. I was very conservative not knowing what to expect. Unfortunately didn't record load, but it was written on each lot. All were less than 2.0 grains powder in a ladder of about 0.2 gr. difference. 100 grain cast lead RN bullet. Fired from 4 in. barrel S&W revolver, All velocities were under 300 fps. I am lucky they they got through the barrel! Very smudgy, so much so that I had to use a drift to eject the spent cartridge. Fouled the cylinders up so bad on one or two rounds that new ones wouldn't chamber. So, need more pressure/more powder. Next experiment (infrequent) will be with .38 special fired in .357 Revolver, somewhat more robust for testing.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Certainly good enough for general plinking. Any room in the cases to increase the load?
Bob, yes there is a lot of room in that 44 mag case to work up. I chose a caliber/revolver that would be hard to blow up. I will work up in the next week or so and report back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thank you guys for doing such experiments and then telling us the results. I have a couple pounds saved up too so this is good info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts