Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All: Still a few out there from time to time. At a local show yesterday, a guy offered me an excellent condition Ljungman AG42B for $700. Probably should have bought it, but didn't need one. Sure was tempting. Did sneak out with a 1916-dated elm-stocked m/96b that was in excellent condition. Super deep bluing. All-matching except barrel bands. $500. Not a real bargain, but not bad either. Saw a couple more chopped up including an excellent all-matching Husky m/38 that someone sawed the muzzle off. Why, I'll never know. Did a little research on Japanese school rifles that I friend of mine bought from an estate. Fun weekend! dj

·
Gold Bullet member
9,507 Posts
Hi All: Still a few out there from time to time. At a local show yesterday, a guy offered me an excellent condition Ljungman AG42B for $700. Probably should have bought it, but didn't need one. Sure was tempting. Did sneak out with a 1916-dated elm-stocked m/96b that was in excellent condition. Super deep bluing. All-matching except barrel bands. $500. Not a real bargain, but not bad either. Saw a couple more chopped up including an excellent all-matching Husky m/38 that someone sawed the muzzle off. Why, I'll never know. Did a little research on Japanese school rifles that I friend of mine bought from an estate. Fun weekend! dj
Last month I paid off the layaway on a 1918 M96 in walnut, all matching numbers and bore grade 1. I found it amid a bunch of less well preserved M96's with #3 bores. I really didn't need it either, but I felt compelled to snag it before bubba got his mitts on it and sporterized it.

On several occasions I have overheard prospective buyers of Swedish Mausers talking about how they would sporterize the rifle. I suspect the sudden spurt of interest in these rifles is due to the 6.5 Creedmoor's growing popularity. Maybe recognition of the 6.5X55's ballistic excellence has broadened as a result of the Creedmoor, or maybe bubba just doesn't know the difference. In any event, the nice M96's and M38's still out there are in peril, so we must be prepared to do our sacred duty and preserve them!

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,220 Posts
I have never seen an m96, m38, m94 or AG42 at any gun show around these parts. If you want black plastic or beef jerky though this is the place to be. :p

·
Gold Bullet member
9,507 Posts
I have never seen an m96, m38, m94 or AG42 at any gun show around these parts. If you want black plastic or beef jerky though this is the place to be. :p
My local bi-monthly gun show has become very sparse with good milsurps, and the few that show up are overpriced in relation to their condition.

"Dawg": I fully agree with your Swedish signature saying. So far I've managed two of the three. The really hard one to find is a "bra kvinnor."

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I bought all all-matching 1899 with matching beautiful walnut stock at a gun show in Gettysburg once that was on the the high side of reasonably priced, but that's it. Usually, they're beat to hell and overpriced where I go (Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Reading).

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,220 Posts
My local bi-monthly gun show has become very sparse with good milsurps, and the few that show up are overpriced in relation to their condition.

"Dawg": I fully agree with your Swedish signature saying. So far I've managed two of the three. The really hard one to find is a "bra kvinnor."
My attempt at "All you really need in life is a good woman, a faithful dog and a fine old Mauser." My Swedish is limited to English to Swedish translator. Fortunately I have all three.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Yes!

Here in sunny Florida we have "barbie dolls", "beanie babys", paper-back books, "fresh made" chocolate fudge, the guys collecting money for "injured" police dogs, lots of jewelry and the beef jerky... But not many guns.

I personally have quit going to "gun shows" as they have morphed into "flea markets". Have more luck at pawn shops, LGS, estate sales and "garage" sales...

·
Gold Bullet member
9,507 Posts
My attempt at "All you really need in life is a good woman, a faithful dog and a fine old Mauser." My Swedish is limited to English to Swedish translator. Fortunately I have all three.
I speak German, and after watching Ingmar Bergman's "Trollflotten" (The Magic Flute) and paying attention to the subtitles have picked up a bit of Swedish.

You have all three? How do you say "lucky dog!" in Sverige?

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
I used to find decent deals, when I used to go to shows. Last decent find was a mismatch 1898-dated M94 upgraded to 94/14.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Go get me the AG42B and I'll give you $900 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
In any event, the nice M96's and M38's still out there are in peril, so we must be prepared to do our sacred duty and preserve them!
A few years ago, I found an unmolested m/96 at a gun show. It has a few small mismatched parts, but the bolt matches the receiver and it's in good condition. When I inquired about the asking price, the seller told me: "If I don't sell it this weekend, I'm going to sporterize it. Save me the trouble; $100 and it's yours."

I chuckled to myself as I carried it to my car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.