Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for a friend.

Would it be OK to use PPU/S&B/Russian commercial ammo in a SVT? Im talking regular 150gr fmj ammo.

And while I'm at it..... just out of curiosity.....would it be ok to use hunting ammo or ammo heavier than 150gr from the same manufacturers?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
My SVT has a sole diet of light ball surplus. I've been told soft primers and heavy ball are to be avoided in the SVT, not taking a chance on finding out otherwise.
Please look at http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?669650-SVT-40-slam-fire

Inspect every round for high primers before loading the magazine. S&B commercial ammo -7.62X54R - has much shallower primer seating than standard milsurp. Use at your own risk.

Regarding any other commercial ammunition, primer sensitivity is an unknown. Military primers are relatively insensitive, i.e. require a heavy strike from the firing pin.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
Based on a recent experience with once-fired S&B, I'd expect a stuck & broken case. With how bad their brass was, I'm surprised it even survived a first firing! Had an S&B case split down its whole length in a TT-33, too. So it might seem high quality, but avoid it.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Personally, when trying to get some accuracy out of a few SVT 40's, I've used a fair bit of Wolf 174 grn FMJ and PPU 184 grain FMJ with no apparent ill effects. The bolt and carrier aren't going to cycle any harder or faster just because the bullet is heavier. It's obviously the gas pressure at the port as the bullet passes that matters and I don't notice much of a change in cycling switching from one of these back to regular surplus light ball as I often do during a range session. Now not being one to ignore the advice of others I do limit the amount of the heavy stuff I use but I have obtained best accuracy with the PPU stuff- 1.5 to 2 inch 100yd 5 shot groups with a scoped original sniper.

Ruprecht

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does Russian commercial ammo have hard primers?

I have limited experience with semi auto surplus rifles. At one point I owned a MAS 49/56 in 7.5 French and PPU had always functioned perfectly in it.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Does Russian commercial ammo have hard primers?

I have limited experience with semi auto surplus rifles. At one point I owned a MAS 49/56 in 7.5 French and PPU had always functioned perfectly in it.

That is pretty good experience to go by.

At one time I had a 49/56 in .308 through which (years ago) I tried putting some reloads using standard Large Rifle primers.

It sounded like Knob Creek. Lots of doubles and triples. My record was seven in a row, after which I put it away.

I 'got smart' and ditched the rifle after that. Bought a CETME instead.

G

·
That is pretty good experience to go by.

At one time I had a 49/56 in .308 through which (years ago) I tried putting some reloads using standard Large Rifle primers.

It sounded like Knob Creek. Lots of doubles and triples. My record was seven in a row, after which I put it away.

I 'got smart' and ditched the rifle after that. Bought a CETME instead.
My MAS-44 likes to do that with PPU. Went through a whole mag. Shocked the hell out of me the first time it did it. Now I only bring it out when I know range will be empty. I think changing the firing pin will fix it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
935 Posts
Agreed but where do you find it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Been awhile since ive seen it. Last time I bought some, it was about a year ago from Brownells. They had it on sale for $6.99 a box I believe, this was for the Wolf Military Classic 148 grain which is LVE headstamped. I still have some of the white box LVE squirreled away too.

Need to get some more, it goes fast shooting the SVT just like M2 ball out of my M1 rifle.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
I resuscitate this thread to ask conclusively ... is 185 gn ball ok in a SVT40 or not ?
Is the “no heavy ball” brought over from PSL / dragonov shooters? Those are not from the heavy ball era, and do not have adjustable gas systems. I have shot heavy ball in my SVT and when properly adjusted I don’t feel like I risk any harm.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I resuscitate this thread to ask conclusively ... is 185 gn ball ok in a SVT40 or not ?
Is the “no heavy ball” brought over from PSL / dragonov shooters? Those are not from the heavy ball era, and do not have adjustable gas systems. I have shot heavy ball in my SVT and when properly adjusted I don’t feel like I risk any harm.
Fantastic point - I forgot the gas adjustment. What did you set it to?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Heavy ball milsurp and heavy commercial bullets are fine in a Dragunov/Tigr, I believe it is a problem in the PSL as the PSL has a riveted rear trunnion in a stamped receiver and the rear trunnion rivets can get knocked about by heavy ball whereas a Dragunov/Tigr has a milled receiver with no riveted trunnions.

A PSL is not a Dragunov, beyond looking similar if you squint in low light! 😉.....nearly forgot, a Dragunov/Tigr does have an adjustable 2 position gas pressure regulator.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.