Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who inherited a Tokarov SVT38 rifle from his father. He was wondering what they are worth if he were to sell it.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Last year, acting for a principal who was willing to go $3,000.00 US, for a shootable place holder, I won a Finn, scrap-bin Frankenstein for $2,450, delivered. It was so bad that it went back the day of delivery. Before the seller had received its return, he had it re-listed, and it sold the day after he received it, for $2,400. The second buyer wrote a gushing feedback about how much better than advertised this SVT 38 was! I should think that your friend is sitting on gold. However, if he intends to sell it on line, warn him about parts pirates.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Orca,
Neither you or your "principal" really knew what you were looking at, nor where any SVT38 would have come from. Reminds me of someone else. I bought that rifle for $2250 and sold it 6 months later for $2750. Do your homework instead of straw man purchases for your "principals".

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If I mis-spoke the second purchase price, I shall stand corrected. I am most glad that it worked out for you; but this does seem to confirm the price range.
All the best,
Giles/ Orc

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Look for somewhere in the $1500 - $2000 price range.

·
Silver Bullet member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies guys. He had no idea it was worth that much and is tickled pink. He doesn't think he will sell it though because his dad left it to him.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Mixed parts reworked electro pencilled SVT 40s have brought close to a grand at auctions. Matching SVT40s have brought upwards of two grand. I've seen mismatched SVT38s approaching $3k. In the K98k world, a rifle with a mismatched bolt only brings about half what a matching one would bring. I've not seen a matching, non rework, SVT.38 for sale. I've done searches and been looking. I would imagine these trade privately, under the table. I seriously doubt a nice matching SVT38 would sell for the same as a mismatched SA SVT 40.

·
Administrator
19,256 Posts
It would'nt-it would sell for much more and yes Hambone nice ones tend to stay under the radar just as nice K-98 do...

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
I got lucky with mine as I was able to make a trade for it. I really love it as it might be my favorite rifle. As stated it is not common to see these for sale and prices are hard to state. Vic has made some good deals on these in the past but those that I see seem to sell for higher than he has been able to find them. One thing for sure value will only go up as more and more people are seeking these rare finds.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Yep, it's like most things. Anytime you want an example of something it will be unobtanium and/or outrageously expensive. Anyone not wanting one will find it at a pawn shop for less than the cost of an original magazine for it. That's why I diversified far beyond the K98k many years ago.......otherwise I'd be living in a world of poverty, frustration, and unfulfilled dreams.

Also, things that don't turn up are hard to price. It's market driven, literally. "Blue books" on such things are either way over, or way under, depending on what's going on in the market. Our respective opinions on the value of such things will be based upon whether we are buying or selling. At some point, for rare items, one must just pay, or not pay, based upon the individual "need", or while away our lives, and spend money in the search hoping it turns up for $500 less.

regards,
HB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts