Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
There seem to be brush marks and scratch marks everywhere. No one seems to know exactly what an original looks like...every time one with glossy black blueing,and stamped markings shows up, people just go crazy.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My AIM 91/30 original sniper rifle came with an original SVT40 Scope, so does that mean I could get 4k for my setup if I posted it on gunbroker!?!? :thumbsup:

·
Gold Bullet member
11,237 Posts
My AIM 91/30 original sniper rifle came with an original SVT40 Scope, so does that mean I could get 4k for my setup if I posted it on gunbroker!?!? :thumbsup:
The scopes are easily found. The mounts, originals, not reproductions, are almost impossible to find.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
There seem to be brush marks and scratch marks everywhere. No one seems to know exactly what an original looks like...every time one with glossy black blueing,and stamped markings shows up, people just go crazy.
EBAY set is 100% original.
Here is a thread with excelent description of original mounts
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?207729-Did-forgers-win-this-game
Fake mount from that topic is still considered by many collectors, who payed for them big money, as original.
I can't even imagine, how will change situation on market, when collectors comunity will realize, how many fakes are already in their hands...

·
Registered
17,650 Posts
still even if its 100% correct.. with that kind of money you can buy 3 SVT.... RIFLES :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hmm,seems fishy. That person with the "0" for feedback could of been him bidding up the other guy. I have seen it happen before.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'd be interested to see the elevation turret as most SVT 40 scopes had elevation turrets that were converted for use on the MN Snipers. Seller did not show a picture of it, makes me wonder. Spacing between 0 and 3 on unmodified scope is irregular especially between 0 and 1 on converted ones the spacing was much closer and reasonably consistent.

·
Administrator
8,076 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,122 Posts
There is a fake PE scope mount and base up there now though.. Sand blasted accumounts wth fake russian stamps.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,490 Posts
EBAY set is 100% original.
Here is a thread with excelent description of original mounts
Fake mount from that topic is still considered by many collectors, who payed for them big money, as original.
I can't even imagine, how will change situation on market, when collectors comunity will realize, how many fakes are already in their hands...
I have a mount I bought about five years ago from a guy who said he got it from Finnbear in 1992.
It's the same as the other suspect ones shown in the above thread and that others have and apparently also Vic.
The question about them is if they aren't real, then Finnbear fooled a lot of people. The suspected FinBear ones are less quality then some of the better machined ones though much better quality then any of the more recent repro made ones. One Possibly is they were made at another factory that was relocated due to the Germans advance and being later were rougher in quality. In any case the jury is still out on them. Ray

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
that same very set was relisted on ebay about a week ago and pulled 2 days later, with $2K buy-it now... Something tells me it was not 'kosher'. It also had bids and no reserve this time around...

·
Registered
845 Posts
I am also not convinced that the Finnbear mounts are "fakes". I also don't think that any of the "accepted as authentic" mounts are necessarily representative of the entire production run. From what I have read, these black original mounts are supposedly machined in their entirety, and this is the hallmark of a "real" mount. Be that as it may...machining is a very innefficient method for mass production, and if 50,000+ mounts were produced, some method of expediting the process would almost certainly be employed. If I were to "fake" a mount myself, machining, or casting would be the easiest way. The widely available repro mounts are a single piece casting. A small production lot could easily be produced in a machine shop with minimal set-up costs, though this gets prohibitively expensive if competing with more suitable mass-production methods. Probably the most difficult (or certainly the least cost-effective) way to fake would be the combination of casting, stamping, welding, and machining employed in these "suspect" Finnbear mounts.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I also have one of finnbear mounts. Some say real, others fake. Seems like former soviet comrades are stuck on idea real ones are all identical... To me its real, to few experts it seems real, all russian/ukrainian collectors screm 'reproduction'... Too convincing to be a repro to me, personally

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can show the pics of original svt mounts. So you can compare with yours. Where wasn't any alternative production of Tokarev's mounts. It's a fantasy!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I can show the pics of original svt mounts. So you can compare with yours. Where wasn't any alternative production of Tokarev's mounts. It's a fantasy!
If it will be necessary, I will show photos of my relic mount, it is identical to yours.
As it was said by Molosky, mounts were produced only by 1 factory. Only difference that is possible - 2 variations of serial numbers - with letter prefix, and without. Such items as different shape, another screw thread lead, recoil spring (thickness and length), recoil spring buffer shape, cross pin (another size and shape), markings, are not small differences. All evidences are in this topic.
If it is necessary, I will post photos of few more original mounts, that not belongs to me
All mounts in museums, not numerous mounts from stocks, original home stored mounts, and relic mounts are identical, and they are different from Finn's mounts. Only mounts from 1 source are radically another. Yes, they are similar from first view, but look to the details, almost all elements have small differences.

·
Registered
845 Posts
My main point about the Finnbear mounts is why would anyone have bothered to make a repro mount that way? The Finnbear mounts are made of 3 separate pieces (not counting the hinged half rings), one a stamping, two look like castings, or forgings...welded together and then finish machined. It really seems to me that modern production of these mounts would be cost-prohibitive when you consider that these showed up on the market before the current demand and price spikes of the original mounts. And if you were going through all that trouble, why not make an exact copy of the "known" originals.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
My main point about the Finnbear mounts is why would anyone have bothered to make a repro mount that way? The Finnbear mounts are made of 3 separate pieces (not counting the hinged half rings), one a stamping, two look like castings, or forgings...welded together and then finish machined. It really seems to me that modern production of these mounts would be cost-prohibitive when you consider that these showed up on the market before the current demand and price spikes of the original mounts. And if you were going through all that trouble, why not make an exact copy of the "known" originals.
:clap:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
There is a least one more reproduction, that was made that way as orginal. It was made in Ukraine, at Izym factory. They were issued as fair reproductions. Also factory produced reproductions of of PU and PU-SVT scopes and PU mounts, but currently production is stoped. And quantity of produced mounts, are much less then 50.000+. I don't know exatly how much, but near 200-300 pieces.
Here are photos. All mounts are repros, except relic mount at photo#4. Especially look to the "aged" mount. Some details are also not similar to originals, markings are very bad, but anyway, they look very close to original, in some details even closer than mounts from Finland.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts