Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently bought a 1942 SVT 40. Took it out this weekend to try out and out of about 70 rounds fired, I had 4 double fires. It only doubled, no triples or mag clearing run aways. It did it with all different kinds of ammo, some of the older light ball on stripper clips from 46 er so, and some silver tip light ball from the early 70s and a different batch from the late 80s, so I don't think its an ammo issue. The firing pin isn't bent, and the channel is clean. The spring pushes the pin back no problem, so I doubt it was a slam fire.

Looking at the trigger group, I originally thought there wasn't much wear between the sear and hammer, I sill don't think there is, but maybe the way they meet up is funky? I have some pictures below and you can see looking at either side of them they don't meet up all the way across. The one hammer picture, you can see how the wear is along just the one side of it, towards the top of the hammer surface in the pic. The angle at which they meet seems iffy to me as well, as in the hammer can slide off the sear instead of getting captured securely. Looking at other SVT triggers online, they all seem to have a similar angle, maybe mines just a little different. In playing around with it, I can push the hammer off the sear so long as the safety sear is out of the way. It takes a modest effort, but I can do it with my thumb.

IMG_7195.jpg IMG_7201.jpg IMG_7196.jpg

Anybody with experience in this issue or the trigger itself?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Slam fires with mil spec 7.62x54r are not common because of the tougher military primer cup. Hammer "follow down" caused by the sear not holding the hammer will generally not provide enough energy to fire the military primer either. If the primer indentations on the fired cases from the doubles appear normal, the strike is probably coming from a full hammer blow. The most probable cause is the safety sear which maybe releasing the hammer prematurely when depressed by the bolt carrier cam as the bolt goes into full battery. Not uncommon. Check the sear surface on both the hammer and SS and be sure the SS spring is firm. Good luck. JH

·
Registered
417 Posts
One of my SVT's will double fire on occasion. It only does it when I shoulder fire the rifle, never when shooting off a bench. I think it is more of a "bump" fire issue from a loose hold on the rifle.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Try changing trigger finger position. You can "bump fire" if it is just right...
I let a guy try my Finn and he doubled like crazy. Son and I couldn't replicate no matter how we tried. He just had a particular trigger pull. Since, I've managed to do it a few times and it seems to stem from not getting a full return on the trigger. How you mount it to the shoulder and handle the recoil may also be a factor. Try a slip on recoil pad and see if that makes a difference.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
One of my SVT's will double fire on occasion. It only does it when I shoulder fire the rifle, never when shooting off a bench. I think it is more of a "bump" fire issue from a loose hold on the rifle.
This, and I would delete this thread if I were you. Just some friendly advice.
Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts