Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Arsenal manufactureD this rifle?It appears to blend with another stamp.
Any other details as to how it came to have the SA stamps would be appreciated.
to what extent does the damage to the stock bolt area of the stock affect it's value?

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts
That is the Tula star you see at the top of the flat area. The SA was applied in the early 1940s when Finland started to stamp all of their weapons with their property markings. You can read a lot here: http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/SVTsection.asp

·
Copper Bullet Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always, the marines to the rescue. In my extended family one staff and another E9.Thank you.
I went to the link and was pleased to see the disassembly instructions. this gun has been so disassembled, cleaned and lightly oiled but with the exception of the stock removal,the trigger group and the barrel extender unit.I am told that disassembly of the trigger group is quite difficult.It does pass the field gauge headspace test and i will test fire one time with modern ammunition before putting it up for sale.
Any advice from anyone on whether to sell it only as a collectible rather than a shooter.i want a no hassle sale.Thank you Vic for all that you do.

·
1,693 Posts
That's a nice one. Mine have the purple colored bolts like most of them. Seems to have seen some use. Looks like it even has some initials in the stock? MN?

Yeah you really don't have to clean it further than you have done. I've only taken a handful of my rifles out of their stock.

As it is a C&R eligible rifle you have a few options when looking at selling it. If you live in a state that allows face to face transfers that might be the easiest thing for you. Otherwise if you do not have a C&R or FFL then most likely it has to go through a FFL of some kind unless you just sell it to some store. SVT's are pretty popular I'm sure others will chime in on a thread like this. If you look on the BATF website they will spell out the federal laws but your state may have some additional ones.

·
Copper Bullet Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had forgotten about the C and R[i am 84 years old], I did have a class three and one license in the past. I always go through a dealer which has good and not so good advantages.Some prized items sold well above expectations but on really pricey military items i did better to sell privately but always going through a dealer for the transfer. The initials MN puzzle me.I visited Finland in the early 1950's and the medical people i met spoke with me in either English or German All the medical texts were in German.I suspect that the Cyrillic alphabet is beyond me. Perhaps a Finn carved them.What do you think of replacing a correct stock.Would that enhance the value?i do want a good price.

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts
In this case, the Finnish initials carved I to the stock are desireable. You don't see many Finn captured SVTs with Finnish initials carved in them, in my experience.

·
1,693 Posts
I had forgotten about the C and R[i am 84 years old], I did have a class three and one license in the past. I always go through a dealer which has good and not so good advantages.Some prized items sold well above expectations but on really pricey military items i did better to sell privately but always going through a dealer for the transfer. The initials MN puzzle me.I visited Finland in the early 1950's and the medical people i met spoke with me in either English or German All the medical texts were in German.I suspect that the Cyrillic alphabet is beyond me. Perhaps a Finn carved them.What do you think of replacing a correct stock.Would that enhance the value?i do want a good price.
I do not think replacing the stock is necessary. Mine have the serial number matched on the stock. If that is the case you will hurt the value by replacing it. If it doesn't I personally don't see what changing the stock would really do for the rifle. A lot of people would rather "honest wear" over "improvements".

·
Copper Bullet Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will keep the stock. Thank you.I know that the service men carved stocks since i once owned an svt-40 with five reversed nazi emblems below the receiver and they matched the age of that stock.Presumably five enemy killed in battle.
Can anyone enlighten me on whether the Finnish government sold off any surplus SVT-40's to their civilians? I am trying to date when the initials might have been carved.I read in Vic's notes or somewhere that after 1945 the Soviets brought pressure to bear on Finland about curtailing civilian armed services .I am sorry to let this rifle go but i am keeping my notched sniper. After a thorough cleaning and dismantling and sighting in with the WW2 scope my friends could put five rounds in a i inch circle at 50 yards.It may have been at 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Can anyone enlighten me on whether the Finnish government sold off any surplus SVT-40's to their civilians?.

No. All SVT-40s were exported through Interarmco in the late '50s early '60s. Maybe very few stayed with Finnish Army personnel hands.

One can say that the original SVT-38s/SVT-40s/AVT-40s that remain in Finland today are bring backs from the war.

I am trying to date when the initials might have been carved.
During the Continuation War.

·
Copper Bullet Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone have any information on why the Tula arsenal built SVT-40' s without rails for the optic scope?Could it be they were rushing into production because of the Finnish war plus the german invasion of Russia?
Is this a rare or unusual SVT-40.
Is it possible that these were modified receivers from the SVt-'s 38 or earlier rifles.
The more i learn, the more i think I will reconsider letting it go.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Nothing unusual. Just war time simplification, that was applied at the summer, 1941 to all SVT's (Tula, Izhevsk, Podolsk). Almost all regular rifles(except some single examples) produced at Autumn 1941 and later were without rail

·
Platinum Bullet Member
63,964 Posts
I have a refurb import SVT (from the batch imported in teh 90's)
plum bolt etc, no rails,

saw several others during the time frame, no rails either,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.