Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had an opportunity to pick up an SVT 40 that has been a bit bubbaized. At least I'm pretty sure the extra holes aren't legit. 'Spose someone was trying an SKS mount?

Anybody have any knowledge to the contrary?

It's a 1942 Tula that does not have the grooves milled in the reciever.
Otherwise, it's your typical refurb. Refurb box over Tula star. Serial number electro penciled on bolt carrier and magazine, lined out on stock and new added, magazine has at least three sets lined out, the bolt and carrier are plum colored from re-blueing, and a couple of arsenal repairs to the stock.

I don't know what size of group is considered accurate, but this is what it will do with twenty Wolf 200 grain FMJ's. It will probably do better with other loads, but the Wolf is all that I have right now that is non-corrosive and I want to get more familiar with the rifle before taking on a total strip down. I'm going to try some Wolf Gold and S&B when I can get some.

It certainly ain't no Garand, but it does have its own cachet. Now if it only had an SA stamp.......

twerpy.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
SVT 40 with extra holes

Are the holes threaded? See if you can find a scope mount that fits them.
Other than the holes, the rifle looks pretty good...:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are threaded. And I just checked, they are 6-48, so I rather doubt it was done before it got to the U.S. The search is on.
twerpy.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I recently had an opportunity to pick up an SVT 40 that has been a bit bubbaized. At least I'm pretty sure the extra holes aren't legit. 'Spose someone was trying an SKS mount?

Anybody have any knowledge to the contrary?

It's a 1942 Tula that does not have the grooves milled in the reciever.
Otherwise, it's your typical refurb. Refurb box over Tula star. Serial number electro penciled on bolt carrier and magazine, lined out on stock and new added, magazine has at least three sets lined out, the bolt and carrier are plum colored from re-blueing, and a couple of arsenal repairs to the stock.

I don't know what size of group is considered accurate, but this is what it will do with twenty Wolf 200 grain FMJ's. It will probably do better with other loads, but the Wolf is all that I have right now that is non-corrosive and I want to get more familiar with the rifle before taking on a total strip down. I'm going to try some Wolf Gold and S&B when I can get some.

It certainly ain't no Garand, but it does have its own cachet. Now if it only had an SA stamp.......

twerpy.

Just got one that is SA stamped.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
937 Posts
I had one once drilled in a similar way and was told at the time that it was for a B-Square mount. I don't see that listed on their website, so it may no longer be in production. Look at their FAL mount though, it is similar.

Cass

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cass,
Looking at how the B-Square FAL mount is attached, it won't work on an SVT. It slides in the dust cover rail from the rear and that ain't gonna happen on an SVT. I'll have to do some measuring and maybe one of the shotgun mounts can be modified.

usmc69,
Ya just had to rub it in, didn't ya. I'll find one someday.

twerpy.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Is that a "no rails" example or another bit of Bubba's work milling them away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts