Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Where are the usual import markings on an SVT? Looked all over mine and can't find any.

2. Was reading Schwing's "The Standard Catalog of Military Firearms" this a 1st edition. He states that most import marked SVT's were cut to carbine length by the importer. Why?

3. He also states an unmarked SVT (non-importer marked) is worth approximately 50% more than an import marked rifle. True?

Not planning on selling mine, just curious is all.

·
Administrator
19,257 Posts
To answer-

1. Import marked SVT-40's are marked on the bqack right receiver section just above the wood line. A 6 digit number begining with T will run up the vertical surface of the rear of the receiver side above the marking-Swan VT.

2. I'm not familiar with the book but the statement is false

3. I don't adhere to the import marking making the gun worth 50% because all guns that came to this country are 'imported" and the marking is the result of government ID of what is being brought in. It was mandated that in 1986 the importer, country of origin, caliber and model be stamped on each rifle imported and sold in this country. Prior to that it was not necessary or mandatory. When somebody says they have a "non import bring back rifle the chances are actually pretty good-80% that it is imported just prior to the marking standard and probably in the hey day of imports from Europe-the 50's and 60's. Will collectors pay more for an unmarked specimen? Yes but not 50%-more like 10 to 20% at most if they are really into that. I personally could care less and would not pay more.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vic,

Thanks for the information. I rechecked my SVT and can not find any import marks. I was wondering about the carbine length statement. All the SVT's I have seen looked to be the same length as my SVT ( at least to my noncalibrated eyeballs). Prefer my firearms noot to have any extra marks on them, however sometimes it can't be helped.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Import marks on some are very small. Too hard to see sometimes and easily removed with a file sadly.

Look for very small faint print on the right side of the receiver right near the scope rail cut if it has one.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have looked all over my SVT. Used a magnifying glass and no import marks.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The "fact" about the SVT40s being cut to carbine length is clearly WRONG , at least as far as those imported into the USA. A Board survey( by Cass??) some YEARS back found enough of the VERTICAL S/Ns on the rear right side of the receiver to confirm SWAN imported 20,000 ( not 30,000) as sometimes reported. A S/N in this series would be TO 12456 or 19678 as examples. The SWAN import marks are indeed so small that a magnifying glass is almost necessary to find. Yours may be an 60s or so import(w/o) marks or one missed in marking. Back to the carbine length SVT40s , apparently many/some/a few were cut by CANADIAN importer(s).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Carbine length value?

How is an importers SVT alteration to carbine length affect the value of the SVT? Also how did they do this? Did they shorten the barrel length or the stock? Seems like a lot of work.

Thanks,

William

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have looked all over my SVT. Used a magnifying glass and no import marks.
I used to think mine had no import mark until somebody here posted a photo of one showing not only how small it was but also how faint.

If I had not angled my light on it at just the right angle to see it I would not have ever found it.

Is the rifle a refurb? If it is then I am willing to bet it has (or had) import marks on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My SVT also has a really small and hard to see import mark, but it's there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts