Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

While cleaning and oiling my SVT-40 I noticed a "62" etched into the front sight post. Any significance to this? Gun came in to the US before any required import markings so don't think its related to the law.

Thoughts?
-Shaiman22

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As that is not a detachable 'part' can't imagine why it was auto penned.....unless it was an easy way to ID a weapon when in a storage rack./ arms room.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As that is not a detachable 'part' can't imagine why it was auto penned.....unless it was an easy way to ID a weapon when in a storage rack./ arms room.
Great point and that was my guess as well. The rest of the gun is stamped with no auto penned parts.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Finn capture rifle? Here’s another marked one on a Finn capture. I have no idea if the Finns or Soviets did it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finn capture rifle? Here’s another marked one on a Finn capture. I have no idea if the Finns or Soviets did it.

Quality find, love to see another example. I've surfed the forum looking for another one but have yet to see anything until now.

To answer your question - Not a fin capture. Rifle in question is a papered bring back (October 1945) so looks like this is something the soviets did.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
It is quite common to see an EP'd number (sometimes faint, which never matches) on the muzzle devices of SVT38s made by Tula just above the bayonet lug. Probably an assembly number. It is possible this practice was continued for a time on 1940 SVT40 production, but hard to know for sure when the practice was ended since this is not an area that is usually well photographed. My December 1940 rifle does not appear to show any EP number.

What year/prefix/manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
RyanE, the pictured muzzle device is on a Finn rebuilt 1941 Tula AM prefix. Based on your info and Finn practice I assume it’s not original to this rifle.

I just checked my SVT38, a 39 Tula ЧВ prefix and it doesn’t have it.

OP, thanks for the link! That’s one superb SVT!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is quite common to see an EP'd number (sometimes faint, which never matches) on the muzzle devices of SVT38s made by Tula just above the bayonet lug. Probably an assembly number. It is possible this practice was continued for a time on 1940 SVT40 production, but hard to know for sure when the practice was ended since this is not an area that is usually well photographed. My December 1940 rifle does not appear to show any EP number.

1940 Tula

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just got a chance to take a look at one of my SVT-40. It has a number (looks like '27') e-pencil'ed on the front sight post too. It's a 1940 Izhevsk, Russian refurb.
20201009_214124.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts