Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I need a help to determine what kind of SVT40 I just bought kovrov or podolsk is it (sniper) value ?? ext... unfired i cleaned the cosmoline and i shot 30 rounds, it recycled great no problem at 1.3 gas setting. i got less than 1" group at 135 yards open sight. i removed the blueing off the bolt. it got 6 port muzzle brake. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
The symbol on top of the receiver indicates Podolsk manufacture. It used to be thought they were made at Kovrov until the past few years. It's a post war arsenal refurb so it has a mix of parts from other manufacturers. As VA Vet said it's not a sniper, it may have the rails but it does not have the notch. Assuming you're in the US and not Canada if you put this on gunbroker you could at the very least $800 and possibly significantly more, prices on gunbroker for SVT's are crazy and all over the place recently. However it's also hard to say because while the year and manufacturer are notably rarer than others, the fact that the bolt and carrier have had their bluing removed massively diminishes its collectors value.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sharp hit in my book now for resell pricing...
Anyone who is even somewhat informed about collecting SVT's will never touch that thing specifically because the bluing has been removed.

edit: unless it was maybe dirt cheap. I'm sure someone who doesn't know better would eventually pay full price. Seriously though the no bluing=better is a myth that really needs to die.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
An original '41 Podolsk bolt carrier probably wasn't blued and many folks up here remove the varicolored bluing from their refurbs thinking it somehow increases the authenticity. I don't because there is virtually no originality to most of these refurbs with parts from any and all factories mixed together. Really they are a type: post war refurb and the bluing is a characteristic feature and should be left alone although I can't see it dramatically affecting value. Has anyone tried cold bluing one that had the original bluing removed? I believe the unusual colors are due to the special alloy used for the bolt, carrier and recoil insert and how the bluing solution reacts to it.

Ruprecht

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
toni: Those attachments don't seem to work for me. $225 Loonies is a pretty good price! My cheapest was one from Lever 2 Christmas's ago- $200.00. Turned out to be an excellent shooter. Va-Vet, incidentally, has been a Flames fan since they were in Atlanta- he may be their only one right now!

Ruprecht

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Toni,

Go to "edit" on your post. Once you are in 'edit' mode click on the "Go Advanced" button. Scroll down a bit until you see the "manage attachments", you should be able to upload the pics into that feature.

Good luck, the forum is slowing dying due to crappy programming...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.