Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SVT-40 closes easily on a PTG Go gauge and with little effort on a No Go gauge. Can anyone give me any advice please?

I cannot remove the locking shoulder as it is pinned in place. I do see something I haven't seen before as well, there are fine shavings in the bolt lock-up area in the receiver.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
Shouldn't lock up at all with a no-go, or field. I'm not sure how head space is corrected on the SVT.

What kind of metal shavings? I use brass cased surplus. I always get case shavings after shooting.

·
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
I thought there was a piece in the receiver you can turn around? Than recheck head space
Yeah, I think your right. There is a piece, where the rear end of the bolt drops into, that locks the bolt. Mine is reddish purple like my bolt and carrier. Looks like that's the only place for HS "adjustment". It is pinned. Not sure turning it around would help, but someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

·
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
Not the greatest pics, a little dim outside. But, this is what I am talking about. And, it's not pinned. Runs straight through the receiver to both sides. I can see what Fuhrer is talking about. One side will get worn with use. Punch it out, and turn it so the backside (facing the rear of the receiver before removal) is facing front when you reinsert it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your headspace, nothing to do

FNpaulie,

Your SVT is just fine, if the bolt closes with a little effort on the no-go gauge, you are right there. NO EFFORT should be put on the bolt to close on any gauge. Your rifle would pass a field gauge just fine. Also, the 7.62X54R is more tolerent of slightly excessive (which yours is NOT) headspace than the rimless .30-06 or 7.92mm Mauser in a Springfield or Mauser cone breech that leaves a large part of the case head unsupported.

You are more likely to damage your rifle than repair a non-problem trying to remove the bolt locking stop.

·
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
FNpaulie,

Your SVT is just fine, if the bolt closes with a little effort on the no-go gauge, you are right there. NO EFFORT should be put on the bolt to close on any gauge. Your rifle would pass a field gauge just fine. Also, the 7.62X54R is more tolerent of slightly excessive (which yours is NOT) headspace than the rimless .30-06 or 7.92mm Mauser in a Springfield or Mauser cone breech that leaves a large part of the case head unsupported.

You are more likely to damage your rifle than repair a non-problem trying to remove the bolt locking stop.
Thanks for posting. Mine actually does close on a no-go, but with more than a little effort. A little bit more than a little. I was shocked that it did. But, after experiencing that, I can see that he really needs to do nothing. Like I said in my first post, "I'm not sure..."

Glad he won't have to use the press!

·
Registered
316 Posts
If wear occurred on the shoulders of the bolt where the carrier holds it down into the receiver it would allow excessive head space. The only way to repair that would be to weld up the bolt or carrier and grind it back down to spec. Good thing you don't need to worry about it considering how slight the problem is.

·
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
If wear occurred on the shoulders of the bolt where the carrier holds it down into the receiver it would allow excessive head space. The only way to repair that would be to weld up the bolt or carrier and grind it back down to spec. Good thing you don't need to worry about it considering how slight the problem is.
And he has another bolt coming in ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the new bolt but have not tried it yet. I also have a new Forster Field Gauge, but have not tried it either. After finding out more information about headspace thanks to MG08 and "Hatcher's Notebook" I firmly feel that there is nothing at all wrong with this rifle. Once I've tested the Field Gauge I will take her over to The Wild West in Calverton and see how she does.

Pics and an update to follow.

Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.