Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
For storage I coat the parts it with RIG grease after a good cleaning. If I'm going to fire it again, I wipe them bone dry.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I CLP them if I anticipate them remaining in the safe, unused, for an extended period of time.

Prior to firing the rifle, I swab the bore and do a quick-clean of the fwd gas parts.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
938 Posts
I agree with what zampilot and Youngblood have said, but will add that I don't think you have to worry about it as much as on other rifles. The SVT40 gas system design seems to be less sensitive to the presence of oil than the M1's or M14's. The system is shorter, a little "looser" and more forgiving.

Cass

·
Registered
320 Posts
Very true ... and, quite frankly, I have forgotten the "quick-clean of the fwd gas parts" on a few occasions and noticed no issues ... well, perhaps, those pieces were a bit dirtier than they normally get, but ... <shrug> [:)]

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I clean the gas system parts before shooting as I hate that sludgy carbony buildup!!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,082 Posts
I have had good luck with cleaning the gas parts first and oiling them with G96 and letting them sit for awhile while I clean the rest of the rifle. When I get back to putting the gas system back together I wipe the parts down to get any excess oil off of them. I haven't had a problem with leaveing a slight film of oil on them with the next range session or next cleaning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts