Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
I agree best you can do is a wire brush and some solvent or maybe some naval jelly if really bad.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried what you guys recommended and it did clean the bolt carrier up well. The bolt face is still a little rough. It was this way when I first got it from my uncle who was holding after my grandfather passed away.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
If you have access to a set of small punches and a brass hammer or mallet the firing pin can be easily removed. Just tap out the retaining pin and the firing pin and its captive spring can be taken out of the bolt. When I was having problems with my SVT-40 folks recommended that I ensure the firing pin channel was clean. Good luck with the Tokarev!

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
If you are REALLY interested in cleaning up that bolt face, I have recently been in contact with a local guy here who does microwelding for a living and LOVES to work on guns.

He is currently fixing up some minor damage and other issues on a Bubba'd C96 Mauser of mine.

If you are interested, I am sure he could fill in your bolt face corrosion. He doesn't do machining, though, so getting the bolt face flat again would need to be done by someone else.

PM me if you are interested, and I will get you his contact information.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I take apart my bolt probably 1-2months and clean it good. Keep in mind that if you are shooting surplus ammo - all those salts fly right in to the bolt and receiver and simply everywhere... I do NOT get nearly as much gunk in my bolt actions as I do with my semi-autos. Everyone has their own technique - mine is to soak stuff in PB Blaster and scrub good with brass brushes. I do NOT oil or lubricate my firing pin or anything bolt internal at all - as it seems to attract stuff and add friction... as posted above, taking bolt apart is not a big deal and once you get in a habit of it - it will be like nothing. I build a little holder for my SKSes (which I no longer own) and SVT-40 (which I proudly own and hope I do not have to sell, as it was my strike fund (at&t/CWA) purchase)from a little piece of 2x4 and added some holes (for pin to come out to) and indentations to somewhat secure it and then use a little hammer and a harbor freight punch to take it apart. Numrich has stripped bolts if you want one or you can always keep your eye on ebay for a spare or replacement.
microwelding sounds really cool, wish your (Ronbo6) friend was also a machinist and could convert some MG-13 mags for me to fit into my rifles...

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I use steel brushes on parts with carbon deposits and finish of with brass brushes. There is no harm in using steel brush on these kind of components, its not like you scrub it for 2days straight :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.