Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Comparable! They have their particular quirks and you have to learn how to shoot them but, a good bore shoots on par side by side with an M1.
That's comparing a very good Finn capture and redo.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
Using '86 Yugo (M30?) ammunition, I get 1.5" to 2.5" 5-shot groups at 100 yards with my '41 non-refurbed Finn capture. That's with lousy eyesight, too. Its more accurate than me. Its on par with one of my better Mosins, a '43 Tula ex-sniper.

Keith

·
Registered
911 Posts
The recent Bulgarian ammo also shoots very well. Most Tokarevs are real sloppy as far as the fit of the action in the stock, but once this is remedied they can easily keep up with a Garand. Maybe I've been lucky with Mosin Nagants....the only other military gun that can touch mine is an 03-A3. As far as accuracy in big semi's, IMO the FN49 reigns supreme, but the Tokarev is still my favorite. It's still pretty darn good, and just so easy to shoot. I prefer the non-AVT stock, as the ergonomics are better. Pretty sure all the FINNs have early stocks. I don't think they'll break with normal use...I'd bet that broken stocks are more the result of rough handling and being dropped, as the recoil is minimal.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have seen posts about how mild the recoil of an SVT40 is and am amazed. I clean mine fastidiously and all ports are clear. Even with an AVT stock, mine has strong recoil. I shoot primarily Czech light ball or Chinese light ball.
I am not recoil sensitive as I shoot 8mm Mauser and 444 Marlin.
My Garands have much less recoil as well. What gives?

·
Registered
911 Posts
jmoul...maybe it's psychological...the SVT is very noisy, and seems to produce a concussion from the muzzle brake. I always wear earplugs in conjunction with muffs. I've shot the SVT back to back with various other semis, and it feels much more gentle than the Garand, the G43, FN-49 etc. It even kicks less than .308's...CETME, FAL...the only softer shooting "big" semi is the Ljungman. Maybe it's your ammo. I've never shot Chinese ammo, and have never got good accuracy from the SVT using Czech...I find the Yugo brass case, and the Bulgarian give the best accuracy, and are both pleasant to shoot. The Polish ammo, which nips at sub-moa in my Nagant, is dissappointing in my SVTs.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
The SVT feels about as 'light' in my hands as my '03 Springfield Mk1, yet I can shoot the SVT all day long with no ill effects whereas the '03 severely beats the crap out of my cheek and shoulder.

The Yugo brass case (86 I believe) is the best in my SVT and PSL. Good stuff.

Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.