Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I've searched the net and not found one, or one at auction for pricing. What would an exceptionally nice, 98%, beautiful untouched stock with all the proofs, and clear little proofs, matching, unreworked, 100% original, but crappy bore, '40 date Tula SVT.38 go for these days, retail? I'm trying to get an idea and it's somewhat tough.
Thanks!
Hambone

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
I'll take it off your hands for a few hundred, if you are tired of looking at it!
I would imagine even with a soggy bore, over a grand?
How crappy is the bore,sewer pipe or just pretty worn and dirty?
That is to say, will it shoot at all, or is it a keyhole special?

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think it is worth more than a few hundred dollars. I've not shot it. It's the nicest I've ever seen in person. The bore is bad, like a sewer pipe. This rifle was slung on a German mannequin with an overcoat in a militaria shop in a small town for about 20 years. Then, when the shop closed, a friend bought it, and I bought it from him about 15 years ago. I'm sure someone fired it and never cleaned the bore. It is 100% correct and original except for the magazine, which is an SVT40 mag, that came with it. I believe I saw an SA rework at auction last year bring pretty big bucks, like almost $3k or something. I just have no idea and was trying to get some feel for it. Imported reworked SVT.40s are bringing a grand in some instances. Original SVT40s are bringing close to $2k.

·
Registered
532 Posts
With the crazy prices people are asking for SVT40s, I don't know anymore. $1500-and up? $2000 if the bore wasn't crap. That's what I'd pay for one, but I'm cheap.

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Just kidding on the few hundred..(unless of course you hit your head on the bunk when you got up this morning and have not come to your senses yet).

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I bet even with a crappy bore you could get $1200 for it.

·
Administrator
3,429 Posts
I'd bet you could get more like $1500-$1800 even with the crappy bore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Holy COW! I should have bought the SVT 40 in a gun shop five years ago that was selling for $250. It was refinished (and very shiny and not well done) so I just didn't buy it. Also, I had heard they didn't shoot well and at the time I was interested in shooting more than future value. Recently I have begun to rethink my stance and now want to buy more pricey items, but I had no idea! I was kicking myself thinking the SVT 40 I passed on was worth $600 to $800. WOW. What kicker. :eek:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Bore condition really doesn't matter. All matching, other than mag, really matters. Premium if it appears all Russian, no Finnish evidence, as well. Very tough call. A few at online auction have gone well over 2k.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have an SVT 40. From the chamber forward the rifle is at least 90%, from the bolt back it is about 60 %, mostly where somebodies hand was carrying it (the bolt cover has some pitting...sweat off of a hand?). The chamber is dated 1940. The bore is dark, but you can see rifling from chamber to muzzle with hints of shine throughout. The stock has a faint star with 1941 to the rear of the star on the right side of the butt. The stock has the usual dents and dings associated with a military stock that is 66 years old. Of course, all the parts are mismatched as far as serial numbers go. Came with a cleaning rod. Best of all the the receiver and magazine are Box SA marked. Paid $750 for it and am happy with it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, there is a difference between the Russian refurbs, SAs, and straight untouched examples from a price heirarchy. In that order from what I've seen. At one time the refurbed SVT40 imports were about $400, the SAs mismatched about $500 or so, the untouched examples, matching, about $600-750. Now, I see the imports fetching close to a grand in some instances. I don't recall a matched SVT.38 coming up for sale. I believe on close to matching in decent, though not great shape, got up to, or a little over $3k at an auction awhile back. I remember because it surprised me. If anyone has a link that would be great.
regards,
HB

·
Registered
532 Posts
I got spoiled with $350 SA marked rifles. These days $750 for one is pretty typical, so you did good. The 38s are harder to put a value on. You get an auction where two people really want one, and there is no telling how high it could go. There are not that many around, and it's tough to put a true value on them. More what it will bring that day in that place.

I look at what $2000 will buy from the CMP, and I'd probably rather have a "collector" grade Garand, than a good mismatched SVT 38 with a cruddy bore.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Didn't have the SVT 40, until this one became available. Glad I got it. Won't buy another. I do own several Garands. I am very happy with my Correct Grade ($950 at the time). Won't buy anymore of those either.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
For some it's a matter of rarity. I can buy a Garand any time I feel like it. I have several, they made almost a couple million. Maybe 100k SVT 38s were made. A Garand, IMHO, is a 10 times better rifle......200 times easier to find.........For $900 you get a complete mixmaster shooter M1 Garand in decent shape. A factory original collector quality condition Garand is going to cost you thousands.......

·
Gold Bullet member
11,450 Posts
Ham:

I have to respectfully disagree with most of the previous posters. I think you found an example "worth" $3500-$4000. Perhaps more if the right players go head to head at auction. I would rather pay $4k for a rifle like you described than many of the messed-up examples I have seen on various boards that sold for $2000-$2500. A premium condition piece is "worth" a premium price.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I would insure it for $3,000-$3,500 without blinking an eye!

Originality, rarity, collectability--it has it all....

Nice gun for sure expecially all Russian without Finn markings....

I would easily put this gun up there with a original G41....$3,000 and up market for sure

How about a few pic's there bone'

BAF

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an SVT 40. From the chamber forward the rifle is at least 90%, from the bolt back it is about 60 %, mostly where somebodies hand was carrying it (the bolt cover has some pitting...sweat off of a hand?). The chamber is dated 1940. The bore is dark, but you can see rifling from chamber to muzzle with hints of shine throughout. The stock has a faint star with 1941 to the rear of the star on the right side of the butt. The stock has the usual dents and dings associated with a military stock that is 66 years old. Of course, all the parts are mismatched as far as serial numbers go. Came with a cleaning rod. Best of all the the receiver and magazine are Box SA marked. Paid $750 for it and am happy with it. Thoughts?
I think this is a normal and fair price for an SVT 40. I have two that I am going to sell. A 1941 without scope rail cuts and a 1943 without scope rail cuts. I was going to ask $750 each for them. So you paid a fair price in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts