Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i loaded 20 #6 shot on top of 6.2gr of unique, then put a paper wad and wax on that in 357 cases....... anyone tried this. just loaded them today so i have not tested yet, i'm hoping i could hit a squirrel/rabbit/snake etc, at from 10 to maybe 25 feet. i want to try the same thing with smaller shot, also.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Did you put a cardboard or fiber disk over the powder under the shot? If not, the powder may migrate into the shot and results may be spotty.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used tissue paper balled into a wad, then packed it flat before adding the shot.

·
Banned
67 Posts
My (admittedly limited) experience with handgun shotshells is that they give you a warm fuzzy - until you have to use one. The patterns vary from poor to downright terrible. I would have much more confidence using .38 wadcutter loads in a .38 or .357, or even one piece of #000 buckshot thumb seated over 2-3 grains of powder. YMMV.

By all means, test your home brew shotshells and tell us how they work for you. Whatever you decide on, practice, practice, practice!

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i still haven't fired any. i was just trying to make a load i could bag a rabbit or squirrel with from 15 to 20 feet away with a large pistol and still have meat to eat. i will shoot some soon and report. around here, we have what we call dredge ditches (canals) that run under a lot of our roads, catfish ponds galore, and these are used for drainage.... ideal habitat for snakes and frogs. if these loads would pattern decent, i could have fun shooting a few noshoulders with them. :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use the CCI/Speer shot loads. The capsule design gives you a lot more pellets than you can load in the bare case. They are a bit pricey, though. Besides .22 rimfire, I also use them in .44 Special, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt. My primary use is for copperheads at very close range. (I don't need to shoot them if they are not close to me.) At 25 feet, God would have to really want that copperhead to die, or the snake would have to be having a really bad day. At 5 - 10 feet ..... maybe. Generally, the longer the handgun barrel, the tighter the pattern (to a point.) The problem? Not much of shot charge, that nasty rifling in the bore, and no choke control. Still they have their purpose. Just my 2 or 3 cents worth.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
696 Posts
I also use the CCI shot loads in my 357. They are effective to 10 or 12 feet but open up to much beyond that. I have dispatched numerous frogs and a couple of cottonmouth snakes with them. At 10 feet, they just will barely penetrate a coke can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shot capsules

You can purchase 38/357 shot capsules empty and load them yourself rather than buying the expensive pre loaded ammo. Since it sticks up above the case it probably give you more shot than just loading the case and putting a wad on it. I heard you could use two gas checks instead of paper for an over and under shot wad if you don’t want to use the shot caps. You may have to run the bottom one thru a sizer first. I’m not sure about that as I haven’t tried to do it that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts