Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone is familiar with this ammo.

I figure I'll try some but mostly just bought to pull the bullets and keep the stripper clips.

All headstamps the same, clips are in-the-white or park'd, about 50-50.

Looks like it might have been packed originally in wood shavings.

Thanx for any info.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ammo

That appears to be collectors-type ammo, I could be wrong. Have you shot any of it? You may want to keep that intact. Where did you find it? Jim

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
Spanoish made 7mm ammo.

Made by Pirotechnia de Sevilla in 1920, most of this original round nose ammo is collectible... and the primers are mostly dead as well.
If you have original boxes of it, Collectors is the way to go. If your quantity is large, then try firing it, but if it is "FTF" or bad hangfires, the either "collectors" or break down for components...I would replace the Berdan primers, or use Bullet and Powder in a new (Boxer) Case.

Spain in the 1920s was involved in the "Riff Wars" in Morocco ( spilling over into Algieria as well) against Abd el Krim. Lots of this round nose ammo was made then, and surfaced back in the 1960s and 70s.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I went through a bunch of that stuff at one time, it came in bulk without clips. I don't recall any misfires, but that was 20 years ago or more.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DocAV - as always, thanx for the info.

I picked this up at a gunshow, haven't tried any of it yet. Only the 100 round box - full of loose and clip'd ammo.

I'll keep a few clips of ammo for display, try a few rounds as-is and prob'ly just pull the bullets for shooting.

Thanx again,

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Tracers?

The base of that bullet sure looks like a tracer round.
It even seems to have some residual reddish material in and around the base cavitation.

I've never heard of a 7mm tracer, but I suppose that they could have had them back in the 1920s.
Incendiary rounds were used in WW-I against aircraft, both air-to-air and ground to air machine guns, until some convention banned the use of them.

There probably isn't much difference between an "incendiary" small arms projectile and a "tracer", is there?

It might be fun to load that bullet in a fresh case with fresh powder and primer and shoot it about dusk, and see if it "traces".
Alternatively, you could stick it point down in the back yard and stick a couple inches of 3/32" cannon fuse down the hole and light it off - backing off a respectable distance immediately afterwards, of course.

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
7x57 Spanish

Noit Tracer, just corrosion oif both copper jacket and lead core...common in old ammo, especially if the Powder is starting to deteriorate, and produce Nitric Acid Fumes, which will then attack both Copper and Lead.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts