Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be a member there and have recently received a message - it looks as if the forum is closing / closed :

Forum members: the hosting for the board ends on 6/1/2023 and the domain name registration ends on 11/11/2022

I've run the hosting/registration/software side of the forums, alone, for the last five years and with no one to step up and help. The wonderful team of active moderators have kept up the day to day running, and for them I am extremely thankful. I'm going to let the forum go gracefully if no one wants it. I'd rather see it go quietly instead of fight to keep it breathing another five years.
If you have a vested interest in keeping the content or keeping this forum running, and would like to make an offer to purchase it, please reach out to me, otherwise I will be letting the forum go when the hosting runs down.

And it is now showing :

Sorry but this board is currently unavailable.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
They all bite the dust sooner or later. We’ve probably seen more milsurp / Lee Enfield boards go down than are currently out there.

Would you like me to play Taps or Last Post or something?

Screw that. Ted Nugent Free For All…..

·
Registered
754 Posts
SPR has been dead for probably 5+ years now if not longer. They never recovered after the big crash they had around that time.

Gunboards is really the only active generalist collector site left that I can really think of unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SPR has been dead for probably 5+ years now if not longer. They never recovered after the big crash they had around that time.

Gunboards is really the only active generalist collector site left that I can really think of unfortunately.
Why unfortunately ?

It is better to have just one or two very active forums with folks freely giving years of accumulated knowledge rather than 'dozens' of forums all with a little bit of knowledge and loads of false or just 'wrong' information from a small clique of posters.

On both here and Milsurps forum there are enough people with the skills and knowledge to question some of the more 'questionable' statements - for example whilst there is still at least one Enfield forum where a moderator insists that the Ishapore 2A is built of "better steel", and bans anyone from the forum who says otherwise, WE know, and have documentary evidence that it is not.

Members on this forum, between them, have amassed a huge library of period documentation and most 'things' can be supported by quoting these documents.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Why unfortunately ?

It is better to have just one or two very active forums with folks freely giving years of accumulated knowledge rather than 'dozens' of forums all with a little bit of knowledge and loads of false or just 'wrong' information from a small clique of posters.

On both here and Milsurps forum there are enough people with the skills and knowledge to question some of the more 'questionable' statements - for example whilst there is still at least one Enfield forum where a moderator insists that the Ishapore 2A is built of "better steel", and bans anyone from the forum who says otherwise, WE know, and have documentary evidence that it is not.

Members on this forum, between them, have amassed a huge library of period documentation and most 'things' can be supported by quoting these documents.
I’d just say that it’s indicative of a waning interest/number of people interested in having more formal discussions about military surplus weapons. It’s all moving to places like Facebook and Reddit where the quality of information and posters is much lower.

I know that the folks here can only get so excited so many times about a newbie’s mismatched no4 mk1, but it just seems like there is way less activity on here in general as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts