Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a case of this ammo from Century a couple of years ago.It is all wrapped in the pink,blue or white paper.Some is the yellow tip,all is brass or copper washed case.Are the dents from it being taken out of MG belts and repackaged?I couldnt get a good picture of headstamp but it is either -12 and 6 o'clock 10 and 53 or or 3 and 10 stamped at the 9 and 3 position and a star at 12 o'clock with 53 at the 6 o'clock postion.The ammol was in cardboard box,so there was no crate for any info.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
885 Posts
No - the dents are from poor quality manufacturing. Looks like 50's Bulgarian. That ammo is known for poor brass, neck splits when fired, and some loose bullets (bullet can be pulled from the case by hand). Albanian 54R ammo was also known for some brass "dents" in the neck area of the case, but I've never seen any as bad as the pics you have.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
Probably safe to shoot. We do worse to some cases when we fireform them.

Of course, the ammo was made by Obamunist.....er...I mean Communist....slaves.

The Expert

·
Copper Bullet member
554 Posts
yep thats the 50's bulgarian, i have had many dented cases that i have fired and had many with split necks, heck i even had the projectile fall out of one in the mag somehow, dumping powder everywhere :( that could have been a mess

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks,I really have had no problem so far with case neck splits.The other ammo mixed in has yellow tip bullet,I cant remember the headstamp other than it was 2 markiings at the 12 and 6 o'clock position,and it was in a different colored wrapper.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
I had some like that too and it all chambered just fine. I didn't have any with loose bullets though...just dents.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Mid-1980s Albanian production has an occasional dent, but they all shoot without any problems. I couldn't make out the headstamp at all from the photos, but could the ammo be Albanian? The rounds look Albanian, but the paper that the ammo is wrapped in is not the type you would find in an Albanian spam can.

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Bulgarian '50s era heavy ball I used up last year exhibit the same dents in many rounds. All were fired without issues. I did learn the hard way to check each round by pulling hard on each bullet before loading. Since 10%+ of the rounds had split case neck/loose bullet that deposit the bullet and powder into the magazine when I try to load them. The powder is very sticky and takes a while to clean off.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Yours looks like LB from 53 Bulgy.

FWIW- We have shot up countless thousands of Bulgarian HB YT from the same time period, 54,and 55 and have never experienced problems other than primers popping out.

Some of the ammo had dents, but it was not a problem.

No loose bullets or cracked necks on the batches we used.

I also bought many cases of the Bulgarian YT HB to use the projectiles and powder for .303 re loading and they have worked well. My re loading guy has never commented that any of the bullets were loose or split necks.

So it may be the LB that has those problems, or a bad batch.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Yours looks like LB from 53 Bulgy.

FWIW- We have shot up countless thousands of Bulgarian HB YT from the same time period, 54,and 55 and have never experienced problems other than primers popping out.

Some of the ammo had dents, but it was not a problem.

No loose bullets or cracked necks on the batches we used.

I also bought many cases of the Bulgarian YT HB to use the projectiles and powder for .303 re loading and they have worked well. My re loading guy has never commented that any of the bullets were loose or split necks.

So it may be the LB that has those problems, or a bad batch.
Seems to me it is the Bulg Light ball from 1949 to 1953 that is particularly crappy....maybe they got a new "Quality Control Commissar" in 1954!

I too have seen few flaws in the Heavy Ball from 54-55.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts